Author Topic: Harman family of Middlesbrough  (Read 9209 times)

Offline drnick

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • The coolest team on ice!!!
    • View Profile
Harman family of Middlesbrough
« on: Saturday 08 October 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
My name is Nick Wingrove and I am way over here on the other side of the pond in Canada. I am looking for the family of my Grandmother Josephine Harman Mar 21st 1915 in Middlesbrough. Her fathers name was Charles Harman and her mother Katherine Kelly. I believe she was born in Ireland. I know that my G/Grandfather Charles had two sons from a previous relationship named Charles and Jack. My G/Grandmother had a daughter from a previous relationship named Mary Ellen Kelly Yates. Then they married and had the following Fred Harman, Jimmy Harman, Catherine Harman, Bernard Harman, and my Grandmother Josephine Harman. Can somebody please help me to get started to find this branch of my family tree.

Thanks in advance, Nick Wingrove
RIP 1959-September 2013
Wingrove, Spice, Morley, Harman, Reynolds, Kelly, Ashley, Barton, Maddock, Pope, Galbreath, Lancebury, Pollard, Welham, Freeman, Barnard, Harrison, Hart, Ingrey, Wetherill, Stites

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
Re: Harman family of Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 05 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

There is a marriage of a Charles Harman to a Catherine Kelly in Middlesbrough in the September quarter of 1901.

I have found a Catherine Kelly on the 1901 cencus living in Middlesbrough, born West Hartlepool, the daughter of Patrick and Mary Kelly both born in Ireland.  I can send you the details or you might want to get the marriage certificate first to be sure that your Catherine's father is Patrick.  It is Catherine with a C in the records by the way.

There are a few Charles Harman's on the 1901 but doesn't appear to be one in Middlesbrough so you will definately need his father's name from the marriage certificate for that one.

Susan

PS  Looove Canada
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 05 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan: It could be Catherine with a C my mom says she doesn't know for sure. If you could send me the file # I will send for the marriage certificate.

Thanks, Nick

PS I love Canada to, have you been here before. if so where, I'm in Brantford Ontario
RIP 1959-September 2013
Wingrove, Spice, Morley, Harman, Reynolds, Kelly, Ashley, Barton, Maddock, Pope, Galbreath, Lancebury, Pollard, Welham, Freeman, Barnard, Harrison, Hart, Ingrey, Wetherill, Stites

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan: It looks like you were right. We have the right Charles Harman and Catherine Kelly. They were married Sept 11 1901 and they were living at the same address at the time (in Middlesbrough ). Her fathers name was Patrick and Charles father was also Charles and was deceased at the time. Charles was a widower at the time with two sons (Charles and Jack) and she had a daughter ( Mary Ellen). If you could help me out with more information it would be a big help.

Thanks, Nick
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 05 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

Hatherley Street Middlesbrough 1901   RG13/4578/6/4

Patrick Kelly  Head  Marr  47  Bricklayers labourer   Ireland
Mary Kelly  Wife 48  Ireland
Michael Kelly Son 27  bricklayers labourer  Ireland
Catherine Kelly daur  24  Durham West Hatlepool
Margaret Kelly  daur  17  Yorkshire Grangetown
Ann Kelly  daur  15  Yorkshire Grangetown
James Kelly  son  12  Yorkshire Grangetown
Bridget Kelly  daur  9  Yorkshire Grangetown

No sign of her daughter Mary Ellen

I can't find a Charles Harman with sons.  Do you have his age (from the marriage certificate)  I'd be happy to check around a bit more.

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 05 10:37 BST (UK) »
it says that he was 28 and a  bricklayer laborer and she was 25
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 October 05 17:32 BST (UK) »
Have you forgotten about me or are you just not finding anything? I can't find anything about Charles Harman either. I have a feeling he was born somewhere else and moved to Yorkshie to find work
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 05 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
Sorry been away for the weekend for my brother's wedding.  Checked a few options before I went and have looked again this morning.

The only ones that come close are:

Charles Harman Head M 29 Bricklayer labourer  b. Sussex Brighton
with his wife Susan 30, and three children  Annie 10, Julia 6, and Charles John 1.  living in Brighton Sussax.   RG13/930/106/10

Charles Harman  Head S 29 Irish Hawker b. Leeds  living with sisters Mary and Sarah A  in Hull  RG13/4503/117/31

Joseph Charles Harman  Head  M  30 Bricklayer labourer  b. Lambeth  with wife Caroline 31 and children  John 9, Maryan 6, James 4 and Joseph 2.  living in Lambeth  RG13/402/82/10

Let me know if any of these are possibles and I'll send you more details.  I tried to find deaths for either Susan or Caroline but couldn't come up with anything.

Susan
Fisher - Essex

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 October 05 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue; hope things went well at your brothers wedding. I don't think any of these guys are the Charles Harman I'm looking for
RIP 1959-September 2013