Author Topic: Harman family of Middlesbrough  (Read 9208 times)

Offline drnick

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • The coolest team on ice!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Harman family of Middlesbrough
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 October 05 22:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that, that got posted before I was finished. What I meant to say was that according to the marriage license Charles and Catherine were both living at 3 Hatherley Street in Middlesbrough at the time of the wedding. I think the Charles Harman living in Hull with his sisters might be a possibility but I know he had two sons. My Uncle tells me that Charles was also know by his nickname Jack which might be of some help
RIP 1959-September 2013
Wingrove, Spice, Morley, Harman, Reynolds, Kelly, Ashley, Barton, Maddock, Pope, Galbreath, Lancebury, Pollard, Welham, Freeman, Barnard, Harrison, Hart, Ingrey, Wetherill, Stites

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 October 05 08:16 BST (UK) »
hello again

Sorry not having much luck here at all.  Does the marriage certificate show Charles' father's name?  Maybe I can find them on an earlier cencus.  We would then know if the one living with his sisters was right and also have an idea where he was born.

I can't find any Charles and Jacks (the sons) together either. :-\

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 October 05 16:13 BST (UK) »
It says that his fathers name was Charles also and that he was deceased at the time of the wedding and that he worked as a steelworks laborer
RIP 1959-September 2013
Wingrove, Spice, Morley, Harman, Reynolds, Kelly, Ashley, Barton, Maddock, Pope, Galbreath, Lancebury, Pollard, Welham, Freeman, Barnard, Harrison, Hart, Ingrey, Wetherill, Stites

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 October 05 17:25 BST (UK) »
I found a record of a Charles Harman on free BMD who was born in Middlsbrough in Sept. quarter of 1896 vol. 9d page 616 who would be about the right age to be Charles's son. What do you think?
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 October 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
Sorry about asking for the father's name. I realised that you had already given that in an earlier posting.
The Charles Harman you found on free BMD certainly could be the son.  There doesn't appear to be a Jack anywhere though.  There is a John (sometimes John's become Jack) registered in Guisborough in 1894.
However I still can't find any of them on the cencus.  I even tried just searching for ANY Charles' born in about 1896 and checking any surnames that even remotely resembled or sounded like Harman but no luck.

I'll keep on trying though and if I find anything I'll get back to you.

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 October 05 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Don't know if this will help but this could be Charles' previous marriage (and parents of Charles and Jack)

Charles Harman m. Mary Ann Ward June quarter 1892 Middlesbrough

Mary A Harman  death registered March quarter 1899 Middlesbrough

Susan
Fisher - Essex

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 October 05 19:54 BST (UK) »
That looks like a good possibility I guess I would have to get that marriage license to see if the grooms fathers name was Charles also or is there anything else I coud do to avoid having to pay 15 bucks on a dead end. By the way I always thought that jack was short for Johnathan too.
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 09:15 BST (UK) »
Why not try posting a message in the look up requests section.  Someone may be going to Teeside Archives and could possibly look up the record for you.
Sorry I couldn't be more help  :-[

Susan
Fisher - Essex

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
What is Teeside archives and how do I go about asking?
RIP 1959-September 2013