Author Topic: ANGELLs, COOPERs, GWINNUTTs in DUDLEY <1850s  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Siani Powys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ANGELLs, COOPERs, GWINNUTTs in DUDLEY <1850s
« on: Saturday 08 October 05 19:06 BST (UK) »
Looking for leads to push back the walls of ignorance.

My GG grandparents Thomas ANGELL (b 1818, Sedgley, STAFFS) + Mary Ann COOPER (b before 1822, Dudley, WOR) had 10 children before emigrating to US inthe 1860s. Most parish records center around St Thomas, but I am trying to work further back, right now on the COOPERs. I think Mary Ann's parents were Thomas COOPER + Mary, but not sure. Her sibs appear to be Nancy, William, Henry, Joseph, Rosannah.

Any leads to these families?

Thank you for your time.

Siani Powys (WILLIAMS)
Researching ANGELLs, BAILEYs, WOOSNAMs in Montgomershire, BC and Shropshire (pre 1860s)
Researching WILLIAMSes and TROWs in Ceri, Powys <1850
Researching KNEALEs in Westmoreland
Researching HURRIE in PA and Scotland (early 1700s)
Researching PEEBLES in US, Cumberland, PA 1700s

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ANGELLs, COOPERs, GWINNUTTs in DUDLEY <1850s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 05 14:44 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have this
Dixon green Dudley 2033 f.330
Edward angel h 6? road laborer salop stottesden?
Mary 62 sedgley
Mary a 17 nailer Dudley?

2033 f. 397
upper netherton
Thomas 32 shoe maker sedgley
Mary 30 Dudley
Joseph 9
Ann 6
thomas 3
Edward 2
Eliza 9mts
all children born Dudley
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siani Powys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 05 19:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!

The first family is promising as the parents of Thomas inthe 2nd. Edward ANGELL would have been ~64, and was indeed b 1787, Stottesden, Salops. The wife I have, Mary (Ann) GWINNUTT ANGELL was b 1793 making her 59, not 62 at the census, was b in Old Swinford, WOR. So, hmmm. THIS Mary may have been a 2nd wife -- I see there is a young daughter, 17, living at home. That is plausible.  VERY INTERESTING.

The second family you posted, in Upper Netherton, is the one I am following. My GreatGrandmother, Emma ANGELL wasn't yet born. The 'Upper Netherton' location is new to me. Thank you.

What is VERY curious is that the child Thomas, 3 yrs, is known as 'Hiram C' in all other family records. So THAT will be intereseting to pursue.

I think the enlarged family appears in 1861 census as well, but sometime during the ensuing decade, (certainly before 1867 when the first marriage of the children occurred in the US) they emigrated to southern Illinois.

What fun!

Thanks again for your help!

SianiPowys
Siani Powys (WILLIAMS)
Researching ANGELLs, BAILEYs, WOOSNAMs in Montgomershire, BC and Shropshire (pre 1860s)

Offline Siani Powys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 October 05 19:26 BST (UK) »
No, I think I am wrong.

I just looked back at the file, and while the 62-yo Mary of your post living in Dixon Green, may be a 2nd wife (I am basing this on 3 yr difference in age between first Mary GWINNUTT (b 9 Jun 1793 and age 57-58 in June 1851), there was a 17-yo daughter Mary Ann born to Edward ANGELL & (first) Mary (Ann) GWINNUTT.

The daughter's trade as a nailer would make sense: her elder brother Thomas was a shoemaker, and that trade was widely practiced in the area.

Also, a cousin has reported the ANGELL family arrived on the 'Manhattan' in 1865. So they came over after the War between the States. Of course, now that I think of it, they could not have come during it, as I think there was some sort of trade embargo with England who was supporting the South (for the cotton supply to the mills).

Very interesting, thanks again.

SianiPowys
Siani Powys (WILLIAMS)

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 05 03:08 BST (UK) »
I have found Edward in 1841 but not Thomas
Dixon green
Edward Angel 50 lab
Mary 50
Joseph 15
Mary 5
HO107/1196/14 s.26
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 October 05 03:09 BST (UK) »
found these deaths on freeBMD
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
Surname     First name(s)     Age     District     Vol     Page
Deaths Mar 1841
ANGEL    George        Dudley    18   211   
Deaths Mar 1843
ANGEL    female         Dudley    18   223   
Deaths Sep 1847
Angel    Elizabeth         Dudley    18   203   
Deaths Dec 1853
Angel    Edward         Dudley    6c   99   
Deaths Mar 1858
Angel    Charles         Dudley    6c   99   
Deaths Jun 1858
Angel    Louisa         Dudley    6c   57   
Deaths Dec 1858
Angel    Mary         Dudley    6c   72

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 05 03:14 BST (UK) »
the only marriage i could find are
Marriages Dec 1840
ANGEL    Thomas        Dudley    18   380   
Marriages Sep 1841
Angel    Thomas         Dudley    18   309   
Marriages Dec 1866
Angel    Joseph         Dudley    6c   11   
Marriages Sep 1871
Angel    John         Dudley    6c   121   
Marriages Jun 1882
Angel    Honor         Dudley    6c   77