Author Topic: Seymour (Warwick. Lancashire as well)  (Read 1391 times)

Offline chenwil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seymour (Warwick. Lancashire as well)
« on: Sunday 09 October 05 04:52 BST (UK) »
I am looking for anyone in the following lines.  According to BMD there are several people with the same name that I haven't quite connected yet, but somehow they are.

These are mine:
1.  William Wilkinson Seymour, b-?, d-?
     m.  Seleana ?   ,  d-1899 in Birmingham
        married in 1850; Aston Old Church

-Sarah Wilkinson born 1850
-Alfred Wilkinson born 1853  (my g grandfather)
-Ellen Wilkinson born 1855
-Seleana Wilkinson born 1857
-David Wilkinson born @ 1867  (rumoured to have gone to USA after his marriage in 1892 leaving children behind in the UK)

in 1881 census, they were living (Seleana as widow) at 221 King Edwards Rd, Birmingham.  Alfred was married by then and at 226 King Edwards Rd.

William had a brother Robert Wilkinson Seymour who is on BMD marrying in Sept 1868, Manchester.  In 1923 Robert was reported as being in Montreal, formerly of Thorn Yorkshire per a family obit.
For both Robert & David, using BMD data as though there weren't others with the same name (for now)

2.  Alfred Wilkinson Seymour, b1853, d. 1944 (Montreal)
     m.  Thurza Adams, b. @1856, Tipton, Staffs
            Father:  John Adams, Feb 21, 1821-Mar 16,1873
married July 1875

Alfred Sr.  was a Cabinetmaker

-Alfred Wilkinson, b June 19, 1876  d-1947 (Montreal)-French Polisher, remained a bachelor
-Seleana Wilkinson, b Oct 1, 1880  later married Charles Wright, 1900
-Lily Wilkinson, b July 9, 1884
-Frank Wilkinson Seymour, b Oct 5, 1889, d- Sept 1935 Montreal.  Frank was married with 3 children before my father was 'made'.  No info on first spouse; kids were:  James Wilkinson, Lily Wilkinson, Margaret Wilkinson.  All using SEYMOUR.  Unsure if Frank married in UK or Canada.

In 1923 Alfred sr & Thurza were in Montreal with Frank.  Thurza died that year.

3.  Frank Wilkinson, machinist  (my grandfather)
     2nd marriage (unsure if actually married), Frances Dengit Gains of Yorkshire.  They met in Montreal

-Wilfred Peter Wilkinson born 1925, died 2004
  ---this is my Dad. 

====
Per BMD other "Wilkinson Seymours" that I haven't connected yet.
Births:
Hannah 1867 Chorlton//Harold 1872 Birmingham//Isabella 1872 Chorlton//Reginald 1889 Chorlton//Frank 1897 Madeley

Marriages:
Alfred 1878 Chorlton//Sarah 1880 W Bromwich-can't confirm if same sarah as under pt. 1)//Alfred 1885 Chorlton//Mary 1888 Ormskirk//Isabella 1892 Chorlton//Selina 1893 Birmingham//Annie 1897 Chorlton//Charles 1901 Birmingham

Deaths:
Hannah 1869 Chorlton//Stephen 1870 Birmingham//florence 1876 Chrolton//Harold 1877 Birmingham//William 1879 Birmingham//Alfred 1888 Chorlton

You'd think with the double name it would be easy, well I've hit roadblocks.  Just found out William's name yesterday from a poster on another board.  The Wilkinson part has been there for several generations.  Haven't yet located the marriage that started it all (rumoured to be about rich marrying poor way way back).

Any guidance where to go from here--I'm on the other side of the Atlantic so local registry visits isn't an option (I'd love to but the budget isn't there yet!!) LOl

take care
Seymour: Wales, England, Canada
Wilkinson: England
wilkinson-seymour:  anywhere
Gray/Yeates: Ireland
Bonehill: England
Adams: Blakeney, Tipton, B'ham

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Seymour (Warwick. Lancashire as well)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chenwil,

I don't know if you've seen this, but it looks like Frank and his brother Alfred appear in the Montreal City Directories available here:

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Frank:
1915-1917 Frank Seymour, mach, beds 865 St. Urbain
1918 Frank Seymour, mach, 3175 Lanorale
1920 - 1926 F Wilkinson Seymour, mach, 3154 St. Adele av
1927 F Wilkinson Seymour 3154 Champagneur av
1928 - 1936 F Wilkinson Seymour sr 6986 Champagneur av

But also...

1930 - 1932 Frank Seymour jnr, emp CNR (=employee Canadian National Railway), , 6986 Champagneur av

Alfred:
1914 - 1917 Alf Seymour, lab, 3175 Lanorale
1920 - 1922 Alf Seymour, lab, 3175 Lanorale
1933 - 1943 Alf Seymour, emp CNR, 6986 Champagneur av
1944 Alf Seymour, soldier, beds 130 Turgeon
1945 Alf Seymour, soldier, 3727 St. Emilie

But also...

1938 - 1947 A W Seymour 6986 Champagneur av

Looks like the address on Champagneur avenue was right next to the rail yard.  Type the address in here for a modern map: http://maps.google.ca/

Hope this is of some use!  I don't see any trace of Alfred snr being listed in the business directories as a cabinet maker though...

MJP

Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline chenwil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seymour (Warwick. Lancashire as well)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

Most of those are mine and had started to work the directory when I posted its link but haven't had too much time. 

Much appreciated.

I have the original bill of sale for the property. It was originally St Adele street and due to development the street and its number changed.  The Alf who worked for CN was actually Alfred's son Alf.  Alf sr had a shop at the property and did his work there.  I haven't confirmed that the address on Lanoraie was ours yet.

I grew up on Champagneur and the ones nearby, De l'Epee and Outremont.

Thanks

The Alf shown as soldier is on streets listed in the Verdun area and aren't ours.  There are some errors as there was no Frank jr but the one reported is my grandfather.  And 2 Alfreds living in the house at the same time.  Guess it depended on who answered the door !

take care

cheryl
Seymour: Wales, England, Canada
Wilkinson: England
wilkinson-seymour:  anywhere
Gray/Yeates: Ireland
Bonehill: England
Adams: Blakeney, Tipton, B'ham