Author Topic: Trying to find out where James George Verrills was born arround Brighton Sussex  (Read 2812 times)

Offline beauty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi I am new to this site

James George Verrills born about 1863 Brighton sussex, trying to find out where and when exactly he was born, his wife was a Annie /ne Shorey
Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Barbara Mcvey(Leah) from Australia
My email is not working sorry

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find out where James George Verrills was born arround Brighton Sus
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
There is this extracted record on the IGI:-

James George VERRALL
Christening:   14 JAN 1865      Rye, Sussex, England

Father:     William Verrell    
     Mother:     Eliza

also:-

James VERRALL
Birth:  19 JUL 1865      
Christening: 27 AUG 1865      Seaford, Sussex, England

Father:     JAMES VERRALL    
     Mother:     MARY    

Don't know if either of these are yours??

Then there's a James VERRALL marriage:-

Father:      also  JAMES VERRAL      

Marriages:
     Spouse:     MARY ANN KINGS    
     Marriage:     06 MAR 1853      Seaford, Sussex, England
     Husband Age at Marriage:     23    
     Wife Age at Marriage:     23

There's a couple of James VERRALLs married in Brighton around 1860s too - search on familysearch.org  ;)
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find out where James George Verrills was born arround Brighton Sussex
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 05 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you have his marriage certificate?  That will give his father's name and possible other family members as witnesses.  On FreeBMD there is a marriage for James George Verrills and one of the possible brides is Ann Shorey.  Sep 1882 Steyning 2b 448.   Steyning is near Brighton.   How do you know his age and birth place?  can you quote another census record for us?
A search of all name varaiants on www.1837online.com will show the birth I expect but it might cost a bit.
Andrea

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find out where James George Verrills was born arround Brighton Sussex
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 05 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It is a local adminitrative quirk brought about by the tightness of east and west Sussex boundaries, but BMD certs from parishes such as Portslade, Hangleton and Hove which immediately abut Brighton, all used to be issued from Steyning

Roy G

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 06 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I had a quick look to see what I can find.  Annie Shorey was b in 1864 in Hove (based on the 1881 census).  She seems to be listed as Annie Vessells in 1901 (at least that is what Ancestry claims her name to be) and living in Hove.  The image looks like Verrills.  Annie is listed as wife but there is no head of household and she isn't listed as a widow.  What is interesting is that the rest of the family is:

Emily, age 18, b Hove
Albert, age 15, b Australia
George, age 13, b Australia
Helen, age 10, b Australia
Edward, age 8, b Australia
Ernest, age 5, b Hove
Mabel, age 4,  b Hove
John, age 3,  b Hove

This raises the following questions:

Where is James George?
Why did they go to Australia and return?

I'll keep looking

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 06 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I guess that we had been looking in the wrong county for James' birth

VERRILLS, James George

b Mar Q 1863
City of London, Middlesex

Mark
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 06 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
In 1881 James George can be found in Hove. (Edited by Global Moderator)

Robert Verrills, widower, age 44, b London
James George, son, age 18, b London
Frank, son, age 14, b Brighton
Edward, son, age 8, b Hove
Tom, son, age 4, b Hove
Lucy, daughter, age 12, b Hove
Fanny, daughter, age 10, b Hove
Mary Roberts, boarder, widow, age 15, b Tillington
Albert Roberts, son, age 17, b Shoreham

This seems to strongly suggest that James George Verrills is not closely related (if at all) to the Verralls of Brighton.

Regards

Mark
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Offline beauty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find out where James George Verrills was born arround Brighton Sus
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 01:38 GMT (UK) »
HI Mark

Thankyou for  researching, and sending information on James verrills, my husband Richards GT Grandfather..
It seems that we have the correct James George Verrills ,the one born in Brighton Sussex England in 1863.and married Annie Shorey in 1864. Richard had only his GT Grandfathers Death Certificate,and that is where he got all his information from, glad to say there was a lot given. the Certificate said. James Verrills died  11th September  1946 at 103 Kurraba Rd Neutral Bay North Sydney,, he was 83 and had been a builder.  On the 1901 Census you said James George Verrills was not on, only family, they were Emily 18, b Hove, Albert 15,b Australia, George 13.b Australia, Helen 10, b Australia, actually was Perth, as that  was Richards Grandma,Edward 8,bAustralia, Ernest 5,b Hove, Mabel 4, b Hove. John 3 b Hove.
So we dont know where James George Verrills was at the time of the Census,  Now why he went to Australia and return, probably gone visiting relatives, as there mustt have been lots of them. I dont supose we will ever really know.

On the death Certificate it mentions the same children in the family you mentioned only of course older. Children were:- Emily M, 63,
Albert G. 61, George 58, Ellen 55, must have been spelt wrong, as your records on Census says Helen. Mabel 50, John 48, James J, 43, Leonard A, 40, Arthur P, 38  then 3 males had diceased, and 1 female,  looks like the diceased ones were Edward, Ernest, John and Mabel.

It also said on the death Certificate that Robert Verrills was James George Verrills Father, so you have got that correct to.
Richard did not know who Roberts brothers and sisters were though, so  he is glad that you found that out,

So the other James George Verrills b Mar Q City of London is not the correct one.

I would like to thankyou again for your help.

Barbara Mcvey
My email is not working sorry