Author Topic: "Dent, Allcroft and Co" Glovemakers: 96, Wood St in 1898 - COMPLETED  (Read 8522 times)

Offline ANNIE DENT

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Dent, Allcroft and Co" Glovemakers: 96, Wood St in 1898 - COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 October 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi to all those asking about Dent gloves . I am currently researching the Dent family as my mother was the daughter of William and Clara Dent .  I have been told by a very distant relative that they are still in business but until I know for sure I'm not betting money on it . I'll let you know when and if I get a result . Just for the record , they are beautiful gloves .  Bye for now .
Annie Dent

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 October 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, Annie,
And welcome to Rootschat!  How wonderful that you are directly descended from the DENT glovemaking family.  This thread has lain dormant for over 4 years, and I presumed had been forgotten about, but not so.
I remember a while ago looking on Ancestry and discovering in one of the first telephone directories the phone number of DENT's gloves, and right underneath (or above, I'm not sure) the Di (or De) Ferranti number, the electrical firm that another gt-grandfather of mine worked for in the late 19th and early 20thC...
Both firms must have been quite go-ahead in their approach to business in those early days,
Regards, keith

Offline ANNIE DENT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 October 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith. Thank you for the welcome . Looking back over the family stuff I have to date the I think the  William who started the gloves business was my mothers grandfather . Her father was born in 1887 but that's as far back as my sister and I have gone as we've been busy with our dads side of the family. This tracing family stuff takes a long time to work through because families were so big in those days . Mum had seven siblings and dad had the same . It's going to be interesting to see who we can find when we do start digging a bit more . If anyone knows anything of interest about them I'd be grateful to read it . It's nearly 5a.m. here so I'm going to bed . Thanks again and goodnight.

Offline Sledge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 January 11 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I've been doing my family history and one distant relation was in service in Claines, Worcester, with Martha Williams, a widow living with a young son. Ten years earlier, in 1871, Martha's husband Joseph was still around and described as a glove manufacturer employing hundreds of staff. I can't find out anything about him, and understand he'd have servants in his house, but for Martha to still have one after his death is odd (she is described then as a 'wooden box maker' so must have fallen on hard times).