Author Topic: chelsea pensioner research  (Read 27601 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: chelsea pensioner research
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 March 09 17:47 GMT (UK) »

PS, are the covering dates particular to Thomas only, or is it the general coverage of the whole record file?

They should be the dates he served.

I should have posted this link - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Ken

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 January 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who became a Chelsea Pensioner in 1822, when he was discharged with a disability, aged 35 years.  He had been in the army for 13 years, initially with the 19th Dragoons and, after only 129 days, he was transferred the the Royal African Corps on the Isle of Wight.  I understand, from various sources, that the Isle of Wight was used to hold deserters from the army and that the Royal African Corps was mainly made up of convicts and deserters.

My question is; could a deserter be in receipt of a Chelsea Pension, albeit some 12 years earlier?

Many thanks
Andrew

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 January 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

According to the National Archives - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/DisplayCatalogueDetails.asp?CATID=77154&CATLN=5&FullDetails=True&j=1 - the Royal African Corps was disbanded in 1819. So he couldn't have finished with them. The 1819 Army Lists confirms that they were to be disbanded. It also says they had blue facings (collars and cuffs). The link to WO12 shows that have their muster books. These show where each man was each month.

Deserters could not receive a pension, as they were awarded the pension on discharge...which implies they were present. Men who had deserted and had returned and been punished carried on with their service, assuming they were not discharged with ignominy. The time they were away plus the duration of the punishment was deducted from their pensionable service. I haven't heard of the IOW being used as a military prison. There were four forts on the IOW at the time. They would have had cells, but none are marked as military prisons. In fact there are no military prisons listed, which suggests the nearest public gaol would be used.

Certainly being transferred from the cavalry to the RAC must have been a bit of a come down. Except if he was given a promotion, but they would not have been given the Royal title if they were as bad as you suggest.

If you post his name we may be able to see what other records the NA have.

Ken

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 January 10 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
Thank you very much for that. I'm most grateful to you for your observations.

I'm sure that your comments regarding the Isle of Wight are correct.  In which case, would he have been stationed on the Isle of Wight?

His name was Gabriel Wood and was enlisted into the 19th Dragoons at Northampton on 12/12/1808.
On 20/04/1809 he was transferred to The Royal African Corps on the Isle of Wight and, according to WO12 musters & pay lists, served in Senegal & Goree from 1813 to 1815, was in Sierra Leone during December 1816 and in May 1817 was shown as "on passage to Cape".  His military career thereafter seems to have disappeared from the WO12 records.

I understand that four companies of the Royal African Corps were disbanded in 1819, but in his book, The British Army in the West Indies, Roger Buckley writes, "The  three penal regiments raised for service in the West Indies were disbanded in 1819, four companies of the Royal African Corps were disbanded in West Africa.  The remaining companies were kept in service until 1821, when they were broken up at the Cape Colony."  I'm assuming that the "remaining companies" refers to the Royal African Corps, particularly as they were at the Cape Colony.

Gabriel's discharge papers, dated 12/10/1822, clearly state that he was in the Royal African Corps from 20/04/1809 until 29 Oct 1822.

With regard to the question of deserters and criminals, I can only quote from other literary sources:

"On 25th April, 1804, the King approved of the regiment being named the Royal African Corps. This regiment was one of the several penal corps or “condemned battalions” raised about this time which were recruited from deserters and culprits from the hulks; a few [black soldiers], however, were also recruited and attached to this corps."
W.Y. Baldry, Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research,
Volume xiv, Number 56 (Winter 1935), pp.233-234.

“The practice of legal escape from prison was readily available to British army deserters.  As in the case of culprits and criminals, incarcerated deserters could ordinarily change their prison sentences for service in West Africa and the West Indies.”
again, Roger Buckley, and from the same publication. when referring to both the Royal African Corps and soldiers stationed in the West Indies.

Gabriel's WO16 Disability and Out-Pensions Admission records indicate that he was discharged with the disability of, "extensive Cicatrix on the left ankle", which basically means that he had scar tissue on his ankle, hardly a disability, I would have thought.

However, in the 1851 census, when he was living with his wife at Oundle, Northamptonshire, he was described as a Chelsea Pensioner and 65 years of age.  Ten years earlier he was an agricultural labourer.

There is one other conundrum, his discharge papers state that he had been in Africa from 1810, but he cannot be traced in the WO12 records until 1813.  He was married at Northampton during December 1808 and a child was born to his wife in 1812, when Gabriel was named as the father and described as a soldier.  I'm assuming that members of the Royal African Corps did not enjoy home leave in those days and realise, of course, that Gabriel may not have been the father.

I'm sorry for going on at such length, that had not been my intention at the outset.
Andrew

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 January 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
Also found the following passage, which is taken from, Cambridge History of the British Empire: Eric E. Anderson, when describing the frontier conflict at the Cape in 1817:

“The Royal African Corps too, comprising foreign adventurers and captured British deserters, was a constant source of annoyance to the inhabitants.”

Would value your observations on these quotes, which represent only a few of similar statements if seen.

I'm also attaching a copy of WO97/1172/205, which relates to Gabriel's discharge.

Thank you and
Best regards
Andrew

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't have an opinion, and I cannot read the attachment. If you raise another thread with Royal African Corps in the title it may be spotted by someone with an interest in that particular Corps.

Ken

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken
Thank you for your suggestion
Andrew

Offline timberslackery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken
Thank you for your suggestion
Andrew

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Would recommend it to anybody, thankyou so much for your help (10 months ago!).  For less than £2 I have a full description of Thomas, along with his notes sent unfolded and uncreased. Happy New Year.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).