Author Topic: Humphrey family easingwold/husthwaite  (Read 1829 times)

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Humphrey family easingwold/husthwaite
« on: Sunday 09 October 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all

A puzzle for me for years I have a Thomas Humphrey b 1773 married Ann Taylor b 1776 in 1801 at Husthwaite with Carlton (near Easingwold)  both are born ther.  They have 6 or children.  Problem is I also find on IGI and in the subscription books showing transcripts of parish registers in the archive at Nottingham which show a Thomas Humphre and Ann Taylor in Easingwold marrying 3 months later or earlier than the Husthwaite lot and having similar named children baptised at the church in Easingwold.  Would it be likely that they went to both parishes one for banns etc and baptised children in both churches as I have seen rebaptisms quite a few years later in different churches so it does happen.  This family is driving me loopy >:( :'( :o It is a direct line as well.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Humphrey family easingwold/husthwaite
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at the IGI and there do appear to be two marriages but the one in Easingwold is to Ann Couling not Taylor.   Another record about that marriage is not an extracted one but is put on by an LDS member so that needs to be treated with caution.
It is possible that there were two couples and they used similar names for their kids.
Did you mean Northallerton Archives?   If you can get there and check those registers again you might find the two of them subsisting side by side which would help.  Are they in the 1841 census?
Both churches were active at that time so I cannot see a good reason why they would visit both.    Try following the various kids through the census and see how many there are.  Deaths?   Have you looked at the burial registers for both places?
Does sound as if you have a bit of a problem!   
Andrea

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Humphrey family easingwold/husthwaite
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Silligen

I know it is a mystery and have not had much time to follow this line of ancestors.  The archives are at the Borthwick Institute at York rather than Northallerton , so must go there someday.  Thanks for the advice and will try and check the death registers etc.  The IGI seems to give Thomas and Ann and seeing as there are Taylor and Couling it can be difficult!

Cheers

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK