Author Topic: Mains and Strathmartine  (Read 3277 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mains and Strathmartine
« on: Monday 10 October 05 00:48 BST (UK) »
Sylvater Oliver and Catharine Smith were married at Mains and Strathmartin, Angus on the 4th Feb 1795. Can someone please tell me is this the name of a town, village or church? Where is it located in Angus? If it is a church do you know what denomination?

Thank you

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Mains and Strathmartine
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 05 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hi:

From a list of Scottish Parishes, comes this info:

Parish name:  Mains & Strathmartine 1909-1951 Parish #307 County -  Angus.

That does not fit with your dates, but what the list by St. Andrews states??

The Parish names have changed over the years - some joined together, etc.  Do believe that searches of OPR on Scotlands.people give the Parish # on results.  Cud B wrong tho.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 October 05 19:49 BST (UK) »
Mains and Strathmartine were originally two parishes, but they were joined together in 1799 to make a united parish.

The kirk of Strathmartine was built in 1779 and abandoned after the union (according to Fullarton's Gazetteer of 1842) and mains originally took its name from Mains of Fintry, after Fintry Castle, which dated from 1311 and was the home of the Grahams of Fintry, of whom James Graham of Claverhouse ("Bonnie Dundee") was a member.

I note that your 1795 marriage entry pre-dates the 1799 union - I surmise that your information comes from an index (the IGI? Scotland's People?) which has reorganised the information it contains to match the subsequent union, and that when you check the original entry in the parish register it will become apparent whether the banns were called in Mains or in Strathmartine.

The parish lies north of Dundee, and if you found the information in one of the indexes above, the banns will have been called in the parish church, i.e. Church of Scotland. You should be able to find Kirkton of Strathmartine on www.streetmap.co.uk; Fintry is also marked.

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 October 05 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian:

Thank you for further explanation - not myself interested in these two Parishes, but certainly found the history of them interesting.  I guessed they'd been joined, but it was a guess.  Certainly your answer might help some Grahams, etc. and should answer the original query. :D

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Online Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 October 19 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Looking for anything re the following.

Regards,

Gary
Australia.
Alexander Morgane
Pedigree Resource File   birth:   about 1625   Mains & Strathmartine, Angus, Scotland
marriage:   8 July 1660   Forfar, Angus, Scotland
   •   spouse:Jeane Simpsone
•   children:Mary Morgone, John Morgone, Jeane Morgane, Jeane Morgane

Alexr. Morgone

Spouse's Name:   Jeane Simpsone
Event Date:   08 Jul 1660
Event Place:   Forfar,Angus,Scotland

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 October 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Have you checked the original entries from Scotlands People they may give you more information

Online Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 October 19 09:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi Wendy.

I have had a very bad experience with that group. I had joined them & I was then given the run around & I lost my money.

Cheers,

Gary.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 October 19 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I have had a very bad experience with that group. I had joined them & I was then given the run around & I lost my money.
Scotland's People is not a 'group' and it is not possible to 'join' it as it has no membership or subscription scheme. It is the official government source of information about the overwhelming majority of births/baptisms, banns/marriages and deaths/burials in Scotland.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 October 19 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I had to pay A$20 & then had to buy credits for some items I found. They then told me I had to log in & despite several attempts & emails I had no luck. As they could not refund my money paid for credits my joining or whatever it is called expired as did my money.