Author Topic: Help needed with a puzzle  (Read 6343 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Help needed with a puzzle
« on: Monday 10 October 05 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if anyone could help me sort this one out please? My Wirksworth Allsopps are causing me yet more confusion  ???
This is what I have.
From information copied from family bible by my great grandfather in 1887

William and Hannah Allsop married Oct the 11th 1752

The parish records for Wirksworth don't have a marriage for a William Allsop to a Hannah in 1752, this is not a year quoted as having gaps in the records so assume they married in another parish..
There are no extracted IGI records but  Phillimores Parish Records for Duffield has this marriage (which matches the only IGI submitted records):

William Alsop and Hannah Kirkland 14 Oct 1752

This could be the one as James might have copied the info down wrong, or it may have been entered into the bible incorrectly in the first place. But Inces pedigree gives this info:

William Alsop Wirksworth miner
married
Hannah dau of Webster of Steeple House Innkeeper

No date but all the other details on the tree fit, no doubts about this being the right person. So now looking for another marriage of William to a Hannah Webster. Steeple House appears to be part of Cromford, but Cromford chapel at ease was not built till 1797 before that date it was part of Wirksworth parish but there isn't a suitable marriage in the Wirksworth PR >:(

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm just going round in circles  :o ;D
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with a puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 14:59 BST (UK) »
william allsop born 19 april 1729 married14 oct duffield
father richard [ricardus]allsop
mother sarah wigley
wife hannah kirtland b 1734 c 10 may 1734 married 1752 duffield
children
william allsop b 1753 c 2nd feb 1754 wirksworth
wandel alsop born 4 mar1756 c 17 mar 1756
mary allsopb march 1764 wworth
joseph allsop b 30 april 1761 c 5 june 1761 ww
isacc allsop b 24 aug 1766 c 13 sept 1767 ww
this will either help or hinder
sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia.
Right family, but whether right marriage don't know because of Ince throwing Hannah Webster into the works  ;D  Where did you get this information please?
Cheers and thanks once more for your interest
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
  • Society Street in Hunslet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This may be a complete red herring, but it's possible that Hannah Kirkland who married William Alsop in Duffield on 14th October 1752 was the widow of John Kirkland.

I can confirm the details of the marriage are correct - I read the BTs for Duffield ten days ago looking for my Kirklands and noted the marriage. No more details are given though.

John K married Hannah Wyberley in Duffield in 1747 and was buried on 10th February 1750/1. The admin of his will was granted to his widow Hannah Kirkland on 14th April 1752, and the witnesses(?) were William Higton and Francis Ward of Wirksworth.

I don't know where that leaves you - perhaps William married her for her money  :)

Doesn't settle whether the William Alsop who married Hannah Kirkland is your William Alsop I'm afraid...

Hope someone can help you resolve this one,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 03:39 BST (UK) »
info from lds for family
=================
  Hannah Kirkland 
      1734 Christening:   10 May 1734 All Saints Derby

marriage                  William Allsop     
                   14 Oct 1752 
                  Duffield Derbyshire
sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia ;)

John,
Shame the transcripts gave no further info but thank you for letting me know. However you may have given me my answer: if Hannah was a widow then of course her surname wouldn't be Webster and she wouldn't have necessarily married from Steeple House, so Hannah Kirkland may well be my lady after all if Wyberley/Webster could possibly be construed as the same name that is ;D Do you have any details of your Hannah's family by any chance? Will do a bit more burrowing.
Cheers Jan ;)

Re her money: William was only a miner so I'm sure that would have come in handy :D

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
  • Society Street in Hunslet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Sorry, no more details, except that there are records of a baptism of John son of John Kirkland in Duffield on 21.5.1748 and of Samuel son of John K on 21.7.1750. Samuel was buried on 20.12.1750.

I've only read the BTs for Duffield at Lichfield, is it possible the parish regs in Matlock will have more details?

I looked briefly at the admin of the will - the will itself wasn't there - but it didn't say much more than I've quoted. I didn't take full notes or ask for a copy as I'd just looked at the will of a different John Kirkland in Brailsford and struck gold. John and Hannah in Duffield, as far as I can see at the moment, are not my family...

All the best,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 11:26 BST (UK) »
Great excitement John, seems you have solved my puzzle ;D
The additional info on Inces tree is that Hannah was sister of Jane who married Joseph Harrison. Now there isn't a marriage for a Jane Webster to a Joseph Harrison in the Wirksworth PR but there is this one:

1760dec18 WIBBERLY Jane(Wirksworth)/HARRISON Joseph
            Witnesses: Charles HOUGHTON,Joseph GREEN    Comment: Fell monger

No baptisms I can find for either Jane or Hannah Webster/Wibberley, but think that marriage is good confirmation that Hannah Webster/Wibberley is the same person who married your John Kirkland and then my William .
So thankyou  ;D ;D
Cheers Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 11:29 BST (UK) »
We crossed there - so he isn't your John but she is my Hannah and you have found your John. A good mornings work ;D Now I must away to do some paid work.
Cheers Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale