Author Topic: What does D.DY mean in the middle of a name?  (Read 9613 times)

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What does D.DY mean in the middle of a name?
« on: Tuesday 11 October 05 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Recently I had a photo of my g-g-g-grandmother's grave sent to me from Sydney. the inscription had her name as "Bridget D.DY TOWNSEND" died 60 years old. I have not seen the D.DY on any of her other records. does anybody have any idea what it means? She was either born in Kilkenny or in Sydney to an Irish father - I can't confirm yet. her maiden name was READY.

Thanks, Loz
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What does D.DY mean in the middle of a name?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 11:37 BST (UK) »
Could it just be 'Ready', her maiden name, the lettering being worn away and unclear  in the middle?
Just a thought!
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 11:43 BST (UK) »
I was thinking the same as Mags - a middle name of Ready, or possibly Dandy.

If the carving is unclear, how about posting a picture - I'm sure Rootschat handwriting analysts would welcome something different as a challenge.

I would normally expect "D" to stand for Daughter or Died, but the DY as an abbreviation has me foxed.

All the best
Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Loz

I have no idea what the D.DY may mean - but wondered if you have checked the NSW births for your gggg. There are a couple of Bridget Readys
V1826822 125/1826  READY  BRIDGET  JOHN  ELIZABETH    
V18553102 72/1855  READY  BRIDGET  PATRICK  MARGARET  

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

(The latter two names are the parents)

The only death seems to be this one
2990/1887  TOWNSEND  BRIDGET  RICHARD  DIED ST PETERS  

The age being correct for the 1826 birth, but not the father's name?. Given that there is no mother's name, there may be an incorrect index (or the informant did not know the names).

If this was the marriage
V1847559 32C/1847  TOWNSEND  JAMES  TEADY  BRIDGET  MN  
I note it was in St Peter's at Cooks River. There is a book available on this Graveyard & it says Bridget,  James and son Henry Richard are there. It gives the age of Bridget as 69 (which doesn't seem to fit?) or could perhaps be a badly written 60?

The church also has a website & perhaps they would be able to verify the transcription for you (if it is this church). They have a specific email for graveyard history queries.

www.cooksriver.net

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
I will go out on a limb -
how about "daughter of Dorothy"?
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for all you thoughts.
I thought she was the Bridget Ready born 1826 to John and elizabeth. I have gor a copy of the marriage cert. to James Townsend but unfortunately it did not list the parents names. I also got a copy of the death cert. which says that she died at 69 and father was richard (no mother's name listed). it was the historian at St. Peter's Cook's River that kindly sent me the phot of the gravestone. The D.DY is very clear and it also clearly says she was 60 years old when she died not 69.
I am wondering if she is indeed the daughter of John and Elizabeth. John was an Irish convict transported and his mother was also a convict. John and Elizabeth split just after the second child was born and Elizabeth remarried and had more children. As such their daughter Bridget would not really have known her father. From some info recieved there was a lot of animosity. Do you think it is possible that either the mother told Bridget some untruths about her origins or that Bridget herself may have been trying to cover up her past??
I know with my own grandmother - she was given up as a baby and her marriage cert. lists incorrect details of her parents.
does anyone have any ideas what else I can do to try to solve this mystery??

Thanks again,
Loz
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Loz

In the Cooks River book it gives the age of Elizabeth as 69, from their register, so that is probably where the mistake was made as the civil register is no doubt a copy of the church register. It is also possible that the stonemason made a mistake so becomes tricky to determine her correct birth year.

It is quite possible that Bridget did not know the truth of her heritage - until well into the 20th century people hid their convict origins. Who was Elizabeth's second husband? Perhaps Bridget thought he was her father?

Have you asked the St Peter's historian what he thinks the D.DY may be?

It is surely an interesting church and graveyard. I have some family there as well and visited when last in Sydney. Half of the graves are gone (the land being taken over for a school and highway) so you were lucky your grave was still there. Mine was very worn with inscriptions almost impossible to read - which was why I bought the book.

Trish

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I did ask the historian what the D.D.Y may mean and she said she had never seen it before either. I was surprised when she told me that the grave was still there and sent the photo down. I haven't been able to see it for myself as yet, as I live in Melbourne. I have actually sent off for the book.
If I can ask you another question - do you have any idea how you find out if someone left a will and how do you obtain a copy? I wish they had have listed the mothers/wives names properly on the marriage and death certificates - I have come across so many with only the father's details - it is frustrating!

thanks,Loz

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 October 05 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Loz

It would be nice if all the information was always there  ;D  ;D
Sadly, with death certificates especially, it is not known. I have found my marriage certificates from Qld - post 1860s are usually complete with parents, whereas some NSW ones from later have only the name of the bride and Groom - I really don't know why??

Access to wills is different depending on the state. Assuming you are interested in NSW, it may mean a trip to Sydney - or alternatively a researcher to find same for you.

At state records (archives) there are some will indexes online - but most are offline.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/indexes_online_3357.asp

The index online is 1880 to 1923 - there are details on the site re access to other years.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/deceased_estate_files_4667.asp
None of your Townsends appear to be in this index.

Given that Bridgets father is listed as Richard - on her death certificate, perhaps she was born in Ireland? Immigration records may help.  Was there any indication on her death certificate re time in Australia?

Trish