Author Topic: What does D.DY mean in the middle of a name?  (Read 9611 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What does D.DY mean in the middle of a name?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 October 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
Trish
With apologies to the starter of this thread

One of my ancestors is listed in

The index online is 1880 to 1923
     http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/deceased_estate_files_4667.asp

Is there some way I can get a copy of this

The relevant entry reads
     HOLMES  G W  Tamworth  29/08/1893  14/11/1893  3025  -

Thanks Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 October 05 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

According to the website - the only way to get a copy is to be in the reading room - Are copies available from this index?
No, copies are not available from this index. Due to the physical size of some of the files, and because a number have not survived, copies can only be ordered in the reading room after viewing the records.

It is also worth reading some of the archive notes - as well as this file there are also probate files (not indexed online) which could also be of interest. I have a thought that copies of probate packages can be ordered - but I can't find any mention of this at the minute.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/archives_in_brief_84_2145.asp#IndextoProbatepacket

A few suggestions - if you can't get to Sydney
- you could post a request on the aust emigrants board - looking for someone who goes to the archives
- email the archives to query whether a copy of the probate package can be obtained
- you could find a researcher (this link may help)
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/archives_in_brief_16_1902.asp

My NSW transcription agent goes to the archives - I have found him helpful and efficient. http://home.iprimus.com.au/lturtle/nsw_state_archives.htm  He responds quickly to email queries and provides copies of probate packages/deceased estate files (for a fee of course)

good luck

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 April 07 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Recently I had a photo of my g-g-g-grandmother's grave sent to me from Sydney. the inscription had her name as "Bridget D.DY TOWNSEND" died 60 years old. I have not seen the D.DY on any of her other records. does anybody have any idea what it means? She was either born in Kilkenny or in Sydney to an Irish father - I can't confirm yet. her maiden name was READY.

Thanks, Loz

Happy Easter Loz,

It looks as though the momumental sculptor made an error. Possibly the name Ready should have appeared on the inscription on the gravestone. There's another possibility ... was Bridget known as Biddy?

Chris 

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 April 07 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Happy Easter to you too! I've got no closer to solving this mystery since I first posted this.  I'm thnking that it may be one of those that i never will find out for sure. 

thanks,
 Loz
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 April 07 03:13 BST (UK) »
Loz,

As someone said earlier, it would be great if you could post the photo of the gravestone ...

JAP

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 07 00:46 BST (UK) »
thanks everyone.  I am posting a photo of the gravestone.  I'm hoping it is clear enough.

Loz
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 07 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Loz

My only extra thought is perhaps the detail given the stonemason included her maiden name (Ready) and he didn't have room to use the complete word?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 07 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Loz

Wonder if it is Bridget Dady Townsend. Seems first letter of each word in the name is larger than the others. The middle name would then be 4 digits. Looks like DADY to me. Could it be a mother's maiden name. Could there be a Richard Ready found marrying a woman with surname Dady?

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 April 07 13:08 BST (UK) »
It looks to me like the letter 'A' between the 'D' and the 'D'; so I stick with my original thought, that it refers to her maiden name , even if it doesn't look totally like the name 'Ready' !! for whatever reason...

Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto