Author Topic: Death certificate query  (Read 659 times)

Offline DeComyn

• RootsChat Member
  • The elusive Amy Bowen
    • View Profile
Death certificate query
« on: Tuesday 11 October 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
I have a death certificate for my great grandmother who was unmarried. Under occupation it lists her job and the fact that she is the daughter of William Bowen - a farm labourer. Her brother was the informant, and she was living at his house.

I have no idea whether William Bowen was alive or dead at this point and wondered whether the fact that he is listed as her father, with his occupation may be because he alive, otherwise I would have thought that her brother would have done just as well by himself.

Can anyone with similar experiences give me suggestions as to whether I can assume that William may well be alive at that point?
Morgan/ -Hereford, Gloucester, Pontypridd
Bowen/ Bibby/Wright - Hereford
Whitney - Hereford, Staffs, Notts
Lockett/ Price  - Kington Hereford
Bradshaw, Chell, Goodwin - Stoke on Trent
Henk, Toft - Stoke on Trent

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have three death certificates for my great-aunts,one of whom died in infancy,one in her teens and the other who died in her early twenties.

The one who died in her infancy and the one who died in her 20's both have "daughter of.........",together with his occupation,listed in the occupation column.Obviously the infant was not working and neither,it seems, was the other, as no occupation is listed.

The one who died as a teenager has her occupation listed in the column and nothing else.

It seems that the entry in that column is dependant on whether or not the deceased was employed.Furthermore,I would have thought the fact the fathers occupation is listed indicates he is still alive,after all you can't work if you are dead. Although I do know their father,my great grandfather,was alive at the time of all three deaths.

However,as is the norm in family history research,you should assume nothing.

I think you will just have to check for his death elsewhere.

Best of luck...... :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline DeComyn

• RootsChat Member
  • The elusive Amy Bowen
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate query
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Llwyd

She was employed - by her brother. She was 52 when she died and knowing nothing as to what her family were doing for the preceeding 33 years and none of them being terribly long livers wondered if I could take it as a clue.

You are right though, it will have to be a trawl for a certificate etc but thought this might give a better start date 
Morgan/ -Hereford, Gloucester, Pontypridd
Bowen/ Bibby/Wright - Hereford
Whitney - Hereford, Staffs, Notts
Lockett/ Price  - Kington Hereford
Bradshaw, Chell, Goodwin - Stoke on Trent
Henk, Toft - Stoke on Trent