Author Topic: Andersons of Macclesfield  (Read 1075 times)

Offline benjaminbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Andersons of Macclesfield
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 00:33 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Ambrsoe Anderson who married Harriet Oldham.  IHis father was also Ambrose Anderson and mother was Mary.  Ambrose and Harriet had several children including Joseph, Eli, Peter, Ambrose, Sarah Ann, Obediah and Alfred.  Ambrose Anderson was born in 1846 and married Elizabeth Ann Daugherty.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Andersons of Macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is there anything specific you wanted to find out?

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline benjaminbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I am interested in finding living family members of the Ambrose Anderson family.

I am interested in finding who the parents of Ambrose Anderson (the one who married Harriet Oldham) are and where they came from.  I believe that Ambrose had a brother by the name of Charles. 

According to the birth certificate of Ambrose (son of Ambrose and Harriet), he was born in the Union Workhouse of Prestbury Rd.  Harriet did not list the father.  So is Ambrose the son of Ambrose or someone else?  Why would Harriet be living at the workhouse?

I have little information of Elizabeth Ann Doherty, wife of Ambrose (son of Ambrose and Harriet Anderson).  Her marriage certificate says that her father was Edward Anderson, and the 1901 census record says that her brother Peter Doherty is living with them and that she was born in Blackley.  Thats all I know of her.

Thank you for any help that you could give me.

Benjamin Anderson

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the various census years 1851/1861 where the family are shown together, I can see no reason for Ambrose c1814 not being the father of Ambrose c1856. Unless Harriet and Ambrose split up for a while.
     It is likely that the registrar at the workhouse omitted to ask or just forgot. As most people did not fill in there own forms it was quite easily done, and although it was free to register a BMD the certificates could cost a half a days wage so not many bought a copy.

It is likely that Harriet was in the hospital section of the workhouse in order to have her child, no NHS in them days,  if she could not afford a home birth it was the only place.

There is a marriage indexed in the Cheshire BMD for Ambrose and Harriet 1839 at St James Gawsworth the certificate will give you his fathers name.

Sorry can't help with living relatives.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline benjaminbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you help, I really appreciate it.

Do you have any suggestions on how to find my Doherty's?