Author Topic: 63 Regiment of  (Read 10005 times)

Offline townie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
63 Regiment of
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 01:40 BST (UK) »
my gt.gt.grandfather named Barron was in this regiment can anyone help

Offline LostAncestor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 63 Regiment of
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 08:01 BST (UK) »
do you know where your gt gt grandfather came from in donegal,

Offline townie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 09:46 BST (UK) »
No I haven't a clue where my gt.gt grandfather came from in Donegal this is what I have been trying to find out. But I know he was in the 63 rd regiment of foot, so I should be able to find something out about him.  regards Townie

Offline maeeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Townie,

Townie my gt gt grandmother, Catherine Malone, married one John McDavid?McDivitt, who came from Raphoe, Donegal, as per his army papers, he was in the 51st Regiment,, we acquired his army papers and we learnt what we know about him from them.

Have you searched for and got your ancestors army papers????They are wonderful things......

Cheers
Maeeye

Offline townie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 December 05 11:08 GMT (UK) »
To Maeeye, thank you for your message, I'm not sure where to  send for any paper of my Gt. Gt. Grandfathers, where did you apply for them, if from relies, there is no one who knows anything about him now, or if there is I haven't found them.  Would I apply to  the 63rd reg. if it is still in existence.  Thanks again Townie

Offline Iban Kepala

• I have sadly retired researching my genealogy after 40 years
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 December 05 19:07 GMT (UK) »
The 63rd Regiment of Foot was raised from the 2nd Bn. of the 8th of Foot (The King's (Liverpool) Regiment) in 1758 and ultimately became the 1st Bn. The Manchester Regiment  which in 1958 amalgamated back with The King's (Liverpool) Regiment to become the King's Regiment; in 2006 this Regiment will become part of the now newly formed Duke Of Lancaster's Regiment.
George.

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 December 05 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Townie:
Here is a link to the regiment's whereabouts. You might want to give us a few dates if you can as well as his first name. Maybe someone will be able to come up with something.

http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/063-1.htm

Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline townie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you George and Pat for taking the time to answer. The 63rd of foot regiment sure have a great history.  I picked  up on the dates of the chart you sent Pat at 1819.  My Gt.Gt. Grandfathers name was Edward Hugh Barron and he married in 1819 at St. Bees Carlisle, England, I have a sort of extract from that wedding, but it doesn't tell me much. I see they were in England at that time then in 1820 went to Ireland, then  Portugal (I guess the whole battalion would have gone there). Back in England July 1828 and Australia in 1828.  I know he arrived in Western Australia in 1829 (June) but he didn't go onto India in 1833. Thank you  both for your help. Townie

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 December 05 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Townie
You will find information relating to the Manchester Regiment at the following address

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/leisure/new/lh35.htm

Regards Ericx
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />