Author Topic: Dents in the Dales ??  (Read 1730 times)

Offline KoKo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dents in the Dales ??
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

My continued searches have moved me to the Yorkshire Dales and to the villages of Thoralby, Newbiggin and Bishopdale, all near to Aysgarth, which is the nearest church for Christenings, Marriages etc.

The Dent family lived in these villages from at least 1784 to the mid 1900's.

John Dent b1784 married Elanor?? and had 11 children, three of whom were Johns!(1816, 1820 and 1822) the others being George, Isabell, James, Elizabeth, Ann, Elanor, William and Jane.

George married Ann Lord and had 5 children, one of whom was George Dent 1862 who is my Grt Grandfather.

My questions - at last - are...........Who were John Dent's(1784) Parents and siblings?         And also what happened to the other 10 of his children??

All help and suggestions will be most welcome

Happy hunting

David.
Kavanagh - Hartington, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Buxton, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Macclesfield Cheshire
Riley - Sheen, Staffordshire
Dent - Wensleydale Yorkshire
Schofield - Derbyshire / Lancashire
Marks - Nationwide !!

Dent, Leyburn and Newbiggin, Yorks

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dents in the Dales ??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you do not already know of it then you should check out the email group for the Upper Dales.  They are part of Cleveland family History Group.  Alll experts on that area and very helpful.
http://www.bishopdale.demon.co.uk/fhs
I am sure they will be able to help.
I have the Bishops Transcripts  in a booklet for Aysgarth (too early for yours) which they have published and there are many other useful booklets available.
Andrea

Offline christine8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dents in the Dales ??
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 05 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello David,
I do have more details on this family if you would like to share.  George's elder brother, Richard Lord Dent, b.1858, married Dorothy Nicholson, and their daughter Nellie, b.1887, m. my gt. uncle.
You will find some of them on my website at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/4320 in the census returns, and I'm happy to share details offline. 
Christine

"In loving memory of George Dent of Newbiggin who died 26 January 1885 aged 70 also of Annie wife of the above who died 21 February 1895 aged 71 "They sleep in Jesus, a light is from our household gone A voice we loved is still, A place is vacant in our home which we can never fill."