Author Topic: Isabella Hunter / Allan of Dunscore  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Isabella Hunter / Allan of Dunscore
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 17:40 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any information on Isabella Hunter who married a James Allan on 2nd June 1916 at Brockhillstone, Dunscore.  He was a private in the 1/10 Royal Scots aged 29 and she was a cook/domestic servant.  Her parents were a James Hunter, Labourer who was deceased by the time they married and her mother who was also deceased maiden name Milligan.  At the time of the marriage she is noted as being 32 and James as being 29, we have reason to believe that these ages are incorrect.  It is possible that Isabella was a cook in some sort of Hospital/Nursing home for injured soldiers as James had been injured by shrapnel during the war.  After the war they moved to Broxburn where James was an Oil worker.  They emigrated to Barre, Vermont sometime around 1922-23.

If anyone can shed any light on this pair it would be appreciated,

Swally

Offline SLaurie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Hunter / Allan of Dunscore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 05 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Swally,

My 4g-grandfather Andrew Laurie built Brockhillstone in 1829, and his Laurie line continued to live there for the next hundred years.

Pertinent to your enquiry might be the family of Andrew Laurie & Rosie Ann Welsh Hunter.  They had at least six children between 1911 and 1924, and according to my notes, all were born at Brockhillstone.  Their second-eldest child was called James Hunter Laurie.

Perhaps your James Hunter is a brother of my Rosie Ann.  Whatever the case, I'd love to hear more about your family as it relates to Brockhillstone.

Cheers,

Shane

in Dumfriesshire: Laurie, Coulthard, Story
in Kirkcudbrightshire: Edwards, Mills, Pagan
in Banffshire & Kincardine: Lawson
in St. Ninians, Stirling: Rattray
in Down, Ireland: Cotter, Morton, McCullough 
in Somerset: Barnett, Cobbett, Guppy
in London, Middlesex (Marylebone): Packer
in West Prussia & Canada: Kusch, Pershick

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 05 17:37 BST (UK) »
Shane,

sorry but I believe that you have possibly picked up my post wrongly although there may be some connection.  Isabella married my great uncle James Allan
on 2/07/1916 at Dunscore.  Her father was a James Hunter a labourer who was deceased at this time and her mother was Elizabeth Hunter ( nee Milligan) also deceased.  The marriage took place at Brockhillstone when Isa was aged 32 and James 29 as I said these ages I believe to be incorrect.  The witnesses to the marriage were Maggie Bell & Phillip Docherty.

All the best

Swally

Offline SLaurie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 05 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Swally,

Sorry for the misreading of your post.  It had more to do with dates and ages than it did with names; the generations were mixed up in the reckoning.

I suppose I meant to say that if Isabella HUNTER was aged 25 to 35 years when she married James ALLAN, then she was born between 1781 and1891. 

Since Rosie Ann Welsh HUNTER was born in circa 1888, I wouldn't at all surprised if my Rosie and your Isabella were sisters.

Please let me know if you learn anything to this effect.

Kind regards,

Shane

in Dumfriesshire: Laurie, Coulthard, Story
in Kirkcudbrightshire: Edwards, Mills, Pagan
in Banffshire & Kincardine: Lawson
in St. Ninians, Stirling: Rattray
in Down, Ireland: Cotter, Morton, McCullough 
in Somerset: Barnett, Cobbett, Guppy
in London, Middlesex (Marylebone): Packer
in West Prussia & Canada: Kusch, Pershick

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 05 18:34 BST (UK) »
Shane / Swally

Just confirmed that Isabella and Rosie are sisters - got births certs & census stuff for both.  Swally is my cousin - I'll send him the details and he can pass on to you via PM

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Guys,

I managed to trace them going to Barre, Vermont.  Isabella died in 1934 and James in 1935 at this time I don't beleive that they had any children

Thanks,

Swally