Author Topic: Scottish students' songbook  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Gamone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Scottish students' songbook
« on: Thursday 13 October 05 13:43 BST (UK) »
My ex-wife (who had an antiquarian bookshop in Brittany until she retired last year) has just given me a charming book:

My edition, 360 pages long and containing words and music of a couple of hundred songs, appears to date from the 1890s. The songs themselves are not particularly Scottish, but rather songs that would have been sung at that time by students in Scotland. For example, the collection starts with the inevitable Gaudeamus igitur, and it even contains the French Marseillaise.

I can't scan the entire contents, but maybe I could put at least the song titles in my webspace if there were nostalgic Scottish oldtimer students who wished to recall memories of musical evenings in Edinburgh pubs. And I would be happy to answer specific questions.

Nothing bawdy, of course. On the contrary, I was amused to find a 100% clean version of Abdul, the Bulbul Ameer.

My ex-wife seems to think that this is a rare edition. There's nothing Scottish in my genealogical preoccupations, but I once wrote a tourist guide book on Britain (in French, English and German editions) and, since then, friends have got into the habit of offering me old documents about Britain.

William
Skeffington, Skevington, Skiffington, Skivington, etc (England, Ireland) -- Mepham, Pickering (England) -- Walker (Cork) -- Hickey (Tipperary) -- O'Keefe, Dixon (Clare) --  Kennedy, Baillie (Fermanagh) -- Cranston, Dancey (Cavan).

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish students' songbook
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 05 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

This looks fascinating!  Glasgow University students still sing Gaudeamus Igitur at graduation as far as I am aware (they did in 1997 anyway!).

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...