Author Topic: HANLON in Shropshire  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: HANLON in Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 05 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry,

I don't think it's an unusual thing for a mother to register a birth, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Given the very few candidates we have on the 1901 census, Albert Ashley Hanlon seems a good bet. However, I can't find Sarah in 1901 either. 

Hope the marriage cert will have him as a photographer.

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 October 05 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Tanja,

I'm not sure if you're still watching this thread, if not I'll PM you.  The marriage certificate of Albert Ashley Hanlon and Sarah Ann Reynolds came today.  Details as follows:

May 4th 1903 at the Parish Church of St Augustine, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.  Albert Ashley Hanlon aged 24, bachelor, photographer - married Sarah Ann Reynolds aged 23, spinster.  Both resident at 133 Wingrove Avenue, Fenham.  Groom's father is John Ashley Hanlon, Photographer (deceased).  Bride's father is Thomas Reynolds, profession looks like either "Farmer" or "Joiner". 
On the cert., the groom's name "appears" to be hyphenated Ashley-Hanlon.  But the father's is not.

Major upset!   I had Sarah Ann Reynolds as the daughter of James Reynolds and Mary, as seen in the 1881 census at Lydbury North, Shropshire.  Now I am not so sure.....   Also, I had a date of birth from a relative of 20th June 1978 which ties in with the 1881 census, but not the marriage certificate.

But then, looking at the birth certificate, we have Albert Hanlon (no "Ashley"), photographer, as the father of Ethel Mary Hanlon and Sarah Hanlon (formerly Reynolds) as mother.  Note - no "Ann" for Sarah!! 

What does annoy and puzzle me is that the 1901 census does not seen to show these persons at all.  I have looked and looked, and also at the 1881 census, and can't seem to find suitable persons at all!

Also I have not been able to find a marriage for Sarah to Pryce Roberts, which we believe took place about 1910.  It was whilst they were living in Cockshutt, Shropshire, I am not sure if it was in church or at a register office. 

So, after these certificates, I am as unsure as ever.  Nothing seems proven fully, yet there seems too much in common for it not all to be right?  Have you any advice on what you think I should do next??

Many thanks,
Garry
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 October 05 08:41 BST (UK) »
I'm just as puzzled as you are. Have been trying to find them for at least an hour now...

There is one John Ashley who is a photographer (of sewing machines?) in 1881 but he doesn't have a son Albert...

I don't suppose there is any family down as witnesses on the marriage cert?

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 October 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanja,

thanks for looking so hard for me!  It's really appreciated, but sorry you are finding it as frustrating as I do!!

No family on the marriage cert., they were John Thomas Tate and a Mary A Slec?

Garry
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 October 05 09:33 BST (UK) »
 >:( That's no luck.

Have you already searched complete BMD indexes for Sarah's second marriage?
I have viewed the images on FreeBMD for 1910 (didn't see anything) and 1911.
1911 has 2 marriages for Sarah Hanlon's:
Sarah Hanlon West Derby 8b 559 in March
Sarah O Hanlon Louth 7a 1585 in June
Not very likely, huh?

Nothing in March or June 1912 and I'm stopping here because my daughter is waiting for me to do some work on a pumpkin for her  ;) 

I just don't know what you could do now.   

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 October 05 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanja,

again, I must thank you for looking through those resources for me. You are most kind! 

I have another family contact in the granddaughter of the daughter born to Sarah Ann and Pryce Roberts after their marriage (my mum's half-cousin!!).  She may have some more data on her grandmother Sarah Ann, so I am going to give her a call today.  My own Aunts may be able to help as well.  Anything is worth a try!!  They may just remember she had a funny accent!!  :o

Cheers ;)
Garry