Author Topic: Marriage Look-Up - Cheshire - abt 1830  (Read 3223 times)

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
Marriage Look-Up - Cheshire - abt 1830
« on: Friday 14 October 05 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

has anyone got any data to hand which may lead me to the marriage details of my 3rd great-grandparents?   All I know is he was John Hancock, born in Weaverham, Cheshire, between 1804 and 1806, she was called Sarah.  My 2nd great-grandfather  - also John Hancock, I believe to be their first born son, was born in 1833 in Little Leigh, Cheshire.

Are there any more resources I could try myself to find this, short of a visit to the Cheshire County Records office?  Any offers of direct or indirect help, hints and tips would be appreciated.  Not very good at this game yet, but willing to learn!!

Many thanks,
Garry Brookes - Preston, Lancashire (UK)
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look-Up - Cheshire - abt 1830
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry,
I have looked on my Cheshire Parish Marriage Registers and the only John Hancock married to a Sarah I can find is :-

John Hancock Wheelwright to Sarah Lawton at Astbury on 17 January 1825.

This also appears on the IGI.

I can't find any for Weaverham, but if the Sarah came from a different village then they might have married there or elsewhere.

Do you know anything more about John Snr. and John Jnr. that might help trace them ?

Kind regards
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 05 01:41 BST (UK) »

John Hancock abt 1805  Weaverham, Cheshire, England Head  Little Little Leigh  Cheshire  I think a farmer

Mary Hancock abt 1813  Little Leigh, Cheshire, England Wife  Little Leigh

Sarah Jane Hancock abt 1846  Little Leigh, Cheshire, England Daughter  Little Leigh  Cheshire   

William Hancock abt 1851  Little Leigh, Cheshire,

wife Mary and daughter Sarah

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 October 05 01:59 BST (UK) »

could be son because same family with John born in Little Leigh in the 1871 census

Charlotte Hancock abt 1829  Barnton, Cheshire, England Wife  Barnton  Cheshire   
 Charlotte Hancock abt 1854  Barnton, Cheshire, England Daughter  Barnton  Cheshire   
 Elizabeth Hancock abt 1860  Barnton, Cheshire, England Daughter  Barnton  Cheshire   
John Hancock abt 1833  Barnton, Cheshire, England Head  Barnton  Cheshire   

John W Hancock abt 1858  Barnton, Cheshire, England Son  Barnton  Cheshire   
 Mary Eloya Hancock abt 1856  Barnton, Cheshire, England Daughter  Barnton  Cheshire   

Samuel Hancock abt 1821  Witton, Cheshire, England Visitor  Barnton  Cheshire 

Charles Hancock abt 1862  Barnton, Cheshire, England Son  Barnton  Cheshire   
 Charlotte Hancock abt 1828  Witton, Cheshire, England Wife  Barnton  Cheshire   
Elizabeth Hancock abt 1860  Barnton, Cheshire, England Daughter  Barnton  Cheshire   
 Jane Hancock abt 1869  Barnton, Cheshire, England Daughter  Barnton  Cheshire   
John Hancock abt 1831  Little Leigh, Cheshire, England Head  Barnton  Cheshire   
 John Wm Hancock abt 1858  Barnton, Cheshire, England Son  Barnton  Cheshire   
Sarah Ann Hancock abt 1865  Barnton, Cheshire, England Daughter 

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 October 05 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone ;)

thanks for all your valued help.  Firstly, the people who have kindly found John with his SECOND wife Mary Ditchfield, I do have the details of their marriage and the children you have shown listed in the various censuses (censii??).  They married in 1845 at St Michel's, Little Leigh.

Now the unknown Sarah was John Hancock's (b.1805) FIRST wife, I have no marriage details for them and so do not know Sarah's surname.  What I do have are two births registered to John and Sarah in the Little Leigh register.  The elder one is John Hancock (1833) - my 2nd great-grandfather - who married Charlotte Senior and lived in Barnton (thanks for those who found them on the census too!!).  The younger one is Charles Hancock (1838) for whom I have nothing after the 1851 census.  I believe that Sarah must have died after 1838 but before 1845.

So it is still this elusive marriage of of John Hancock to Sarah I am looking for, the one which Su has highlighted COULD be the one as it's about the right time.  John's occupation in the 1851 census is "River Weaver Navigation labourer".  A a "navvy" he could well have married out of his immediate home area, but returned home to work on the River Weaver project.

Thanks for all your observations again, any light anyone can throw on this marriage is much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Garry Brookes - Preston, Lancashire (UK)
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 October 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
the BVRI has a birth of a John Hancock at Weaverham 02 MAR 1805, baptised 24 MAR 1805 to William Hancock & Mary.
odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 October 05 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Odessa,

thanks for that birth information, I didn't have that.  I have looked for any more births to William and Mary at Weaverham, and have found three more on the IGI - Mary (1807), Anne (1813) and Sarah (1815).  I tried to find marriages in Cheshire BMD, but nothing seems to show up for definite.  Found Sarah on the 1851 census though, she is unmarried and a servant aged 35.

Looked for a marriage for William and Mary and found this one at Runcorn - William HANCOCK to Sarah Johnson on 07/09/1802.  It is possible this is the marriage, the River Weaver did cause persons to migrate up and down it quite a bit!!

By the way, what is the BVRI and is it accessed from the web??  Excuse the ignorance, I'm still learning....

Cheers for now,
Garry

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 October 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry
If Charles Hancock was born 1838 to John and Sarah, then surely there must be a birth certificate for him.  If so, it should give Sarah's maiden name on it.

Just an idea.

Kind regards
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 October 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
BVRI = British Vital Records Index , another index from the Latter Day Saints, very similar to the on-line I.G.I. but the BVRI contains information taken only from local records(parish records/bishop's transcripts) and not from private submissions.
It doesn't have full coverage of all parishes/counties by any means.

odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk