Author Topic: EMIGRATED FROM CHESHIRE, ENGLAND TO CANDA. NOVA SCOTIA OR NEW BRUNSWICK.  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
EMIGRATED FROM CHESHIRE, ENGLAND TO CANDA. NOVA SCOTIA OR NEW BRUNSWICK.
« on: Friday 14 October 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
James Lightfoot, born 10 May 141 to Wiliam Lightfoot and Mary An  Nield in Bowden , Cheshire, England.

James left sometime between 1852 and 1870.  he was found in the 1851 census in HO107-2162-F331  Vale Of Bowden. 

He could have came in to Nova Scotia, or New Brunswick.    We believe it is a good possibility that he came with a relative.   The relative could be one of the two, but not necessarily.

1. Lord Atly,
2. John and Ann Lightfoot.

If John and his wife it probably would be between 1852 and 1862.,   as it appears that his father might have died in 1852.

Any help would be very gratefully accepted.

Thanking you inadvance for your help.

Shirley Wright

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EMIGRATED FROM CHESHIRE, ENGLAND TO CANDA. NOVA SCOTIA OR NEW BRUNSWICK.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Shirley
Could you be a bit more specifice and tell us what it is you would like to know. Who it is you want to know about.So someone can help.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Celia,

I very sorry I was more specific.  I am looking for [JAMES LIGHTFOOT born in Bowden, Cheshire, England.  Born 10 May 1841.
Now I have all the info since he came to Canada,  However, I don't know when or where he landed here.  The other info was just added info that might help.  I was given it by Peter Bennett who thought it might be helpful.  As he would have mostly came with someone else,  as we believe he must have came with some one.  His mother had died in 1848 I believe, and his father in 1852.   

We believe he must have came between 1851 and 1870.  As he got married to a Canadian girl her in 1870.

I am afraid I don't know any more other then what I had said previously who might have came with him.

If I can help any way please let me know.
Thanks again.

Shirley ;D :P :D ;D

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 December 05 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Shirley,

Have you got him in the Canadian census records?  Some years (1851 & 1901 for sure) record the year of immigration.  That should give you a starting point.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Shirley-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 05 00:16 GMT (UK) »
HELLO JOSEPHINE,

Yes, I know James came to Canada between 1851 and 1871, as I stated above, However, I found him in the 1881 census in Canada.  I know for sure he was in Canada in 1870 as he married a Sarah Frail,  from Kings Co., Nova Scotia, in 16 Aug. 1870. 
I also have all the info from then till now,  .  What I am desperate is to find when and how he Came to Canada.  It would have to be between 1851 and 1870.  I f you could help I would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Shirley

have a very Merry Christmas,  and a great holiday. :) ::) :P :-*

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 05 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Shirley,

I just meant to say that, if he is in the 1901 census, it will tell what year he came to Canada (or thereabouts).  Then you would have a more specific time frame in which to search for details about his arrival.

For passenger records, I don' t know what years are covered by microfilm, etc., but if any are available, it would help narrow down your search if you have a three-to-five year window instead of 20 years.

Have you checked these sites:

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/index.htm

http://www.immigrantships.net/

It is very hard to find ship records in Canada that far back.  I don't know what might exist in England.

If you know what religion he was, have you contacted the church(es) he might have attended in Canada?  Perhaps his death record at the church might tell when he came to Canada.  His newspaper obit might say how long he'd lived here.

If he was a farmer, did he fill out a Land Petition?  My 3rd-great-grandfather's land grant application (in New Brunswick) gave a bit of information.  Some give more information, some give less.

I don't know if any in Nova Scotia are available online in 1870+.  These are earlier ones but there might be someone you can write to about ordering microfilm or to find out if they are indexed:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/databases/land/

This is the front page of the website:  http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/

Have you contacted the library in the area where he was married?  If they have city directories leading up to 1870, perhaps they might find his name listed.  That would give you some clues.

You could search the Kings County census of 1861 to see if he was there yet (or request a look-up).  Perhaps the local library or genealogical society might have it indexed already.  Again, this would give you an idea of when he might have shown up.

Good luck & Merry Christmas to you, too.
Josephine

England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters