Author Topic: why is nobody EVER searching for the same people as me?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
why is nobody EVER searching for the same people as me?
« on: Friday 14 October 05 18:54 BST (UK) »
Is it ME? ???

I read stories all the time about people who've found long lost relatives or even remote cousins 32 times removed and have, as a result, gained loads of new info and lines to research.

Why then is nobody else in the whole of genealogy land researching MY family? 
AND (I know you should never start a sentence with 'and' my former English teacher would have a fit) why does no-one in my family have any of those wonderful old photos of Great Grandma Ethel (not that I ever had a Great Grandma Ethel - at least I don't THINK so) that other people always seem to have. AND (there I go again) do they ALL have to be coal miners and carpet weavers - can't I find just one sea captain, or milliner, or even a highwayman!

Sorry I'm rambling now  ::)  I think I must have just hit too many brick walls of late.  It must do something to the brain don't you think!
 ;D

Susan
(alway hoping for a connection to somebody - ANYBODY!)
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: why is nobody EVER searching for the same people as me?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Soo Catt

I know the feeling of the dull nagging headache as you hit the brick wall with the anti stress kit (place head in circle and hit it hard until a) you pass out or b) your head bleeds).

Everybody in the world seems to be an ag lab or coal miner, or farmer, or railway (my lot)  ::), no landed gentry, knights or peers.  Some don't get married so inconvenient to find the cert and parents,  aargh! >:(

If mountain ahead, then go around it ie twigs and branches rather than the tunnel as you hit the brick walls quicker in a tunnel.  I collect everything and anything sideways no matter how remote and I often go further back in the generations.  8)

Keep trying as it is good for the mental stimulation, the problem solving skills, detective work, puzzle solving, and reading up on history, ie historical dramas like who did what to whom and when and why (cue the Cluedo music or Henri Poirot).  It is hard work but immensely satisfying.  Why else do we frequent rootschat?

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 05 19:33 BST (UK) »
In 15 years I have only found 3 people who were actively researching any of my ancestors and one of them never answered a PM I sent him when he appeared on Rootschat. So, I have a lot of interchange with a cousin the other side of London and occasional emails with a second cousin in Cumberland [I am in Kent].
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 05 19:45 BST (UK) »
In 15 years I have only found 3 people who were actively researching any of my ancestors

It feels much better to know I'm not alone  ;)

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 05 19:53 BST (UK) »
Nobody is Researching My Line of Slaters.. no wonder though most of there daughters had children out of wedlock :o it took me nearly 8 years to even start my Grandfathers family ..

If any one out there has any conncetions with the

Harold Family of Liverpool Warwickshire

Slater Family of Liverpool and Possibly Ulverston

PLEASE Let me Know

Regards

Iria
Harold Liverpool and Warwickshire
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool
Lister/Lester Liverpool and Cambridgeshire
Norris Liverpool and Ireland

Census Information is Crown Copyright From:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan

No, it's not you as I know exactly how you feel   :( :(

I seem to be the only one looking for my numerous rels and although nearly all of them bred like proverbial rabbits, and continued to do so into the early 20th century, not one descendant seems to be interested in finding their lost ancestors.  They are missing out on so much....the history and connection to family however remote.

Although my english Tasker family tree has grown due to Jabawak, Sharonk and much help from Debbie G there appears to be hardly one here in Oz searching for them   Thinking I had struck paydirt last year I snail mailed all the info I had gathered to the only contact I've made  and never heard from her again despite sending repeated e-mails.  :( :(  >:( 

I've always loved a good mystery and never give up trying but sometimes wish I could contact rels "on the other side" just to get a bit of a clue to make life a little easier. ;D ;D ;D

Keep searching ....a break through always comes along when least expected  ;D ;D

Cheers  Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 October 05 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan:
Notice you liste the surname Pinkney. What area are you searching in?

Anne

Canada

Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 October 05 09:02 BST (UK) »

I've always loved a good mystery and never give up trying but sometimes wish I could contact rels "on the other side" just to get a bit of a clue to make life a little easier. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers  Juddee

That's an interesting idea - I wonder if anyone has ever tried that ;)

Is anybody there ...... ?

S
Fisher - Essex

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 October 05 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne in Canada

The Pinkneys in my line are in County Durham, particularly Tudhoe and Spennymoor through the 1800's

If you think there may be a connection send me a PM

Susan
Fisher - Essex