Author Topic: Searching info/relatives? *BERT NELSON*  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Gayleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching info/relatives? *BERT NELSON*
« on: Saturday 15 October 05 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for any information and any relations of Albert (Bert) Norman Nelson,possibly born in the 1920s? In England somewhere. His wifes name was Janice,they married somewhere in N.Z, they had 3 children Kim,Lee and Amanda. They resided in Kenneth Ave,Sandringham,Auckland for a while and then he and the 2 boys moved around quite a bit,they lived on an orchard in Albany,Auckland at one point.  He has a sister by the name of Freda who lived in Mermaid waters,Australia and her surname is/was Clarke? We were told he came to N.Z vie ship but have no idea where to or when. Something about the Merchant Navy was mentioned some years ago. We know very little about my daughters grandfathers family nor anything about  his life. He passed away in 1980-1981 in Auckland,long before she was born but i would very much like her to know some of her family history and of other relatives somewhere out there. I keep coming up with blanks, on everything i try. His children no very little about him and his family either. I hope someone out there can enlighten us!!
NELSONS
ALBERT NORMAN JNR 1921
FREDA, ROBERT, IRENE,

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Searching info/relatives? *BERT NELSON*
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayleen, you said possibly born in the 1920s but you don't seem sure.

I ask because an ALBERT NORMAN NELSON is listed in freebmd as born in the Oct/Nov/Dec quarter of 1901 in West Ham, London. This is 20 years before?

margaret
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 05 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayleen!

Welcome to Rootschat!

I confess to being a novice at NZ research, but I tried a search on a site recommended on the NZ board of Rootschat and came up with some goodies!

Try here:

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz

Search on his name & there are results for a caretaker in Auckland, among other things, that just might be him

Good luck!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gayleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for you welcome and your info Arranroots!!  Certainly fits the description...YAY!! I think we've finally found something...Many many thanks Arranroots!!!!!

Kind regards
Gayleen
NELSONS
ALBERT NORMAN JNR 1921
FREDA, ROBERT, IRENE,

Offline Gayleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

His late wife,my beloved mother in law once told me he was 19yrs older than her and she was 63 when she passed on in 2002 so if my figures are right Margaret he would've been 85 now, so it would've been 1925?
But who knows... his son said he was a bit of a secret squirrel. I'll have a look in freebmd. From what we know his birthday was 21 Jan but it seems really difficult to find anything on him so i'm wondering if it was his true birthday, I've come across Albert Norman Nelson listed but no-one under the specific birthdate i have. It doesn't mention it on his plaque at the cemetery either.

Thankyou Margaret!!
I appreciate any and all the help i can get!!
NELSONS
ALBERT NORMAN JNR 1921
FREDA, ROBERT, IRENE,

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 October 05 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayleen, I suppose it could be possible that the Albert Norman Nelson listed as born in 1901 could be a relative? It is quite an unusual mixture of names.
Have you any idea where Bert was born or any other siblings - I think you mentioned that he had a sister called Freda?

best wishes
Margaret
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gayleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 October 05 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again Margaret!

Yes that's right he has a sister named Freda, last known address was in Mermaid Waters, Australia. I tried to find her in the Australian white pages and numerous other searches, but alas, no luck. We don't know if she's older or younger.  He may have been born in Plaisto? Plasto? Eastend somewhere. As far as i know he does have other brother/s, sister/s but have no idea what their names are. It gets a little frustrating, when i'm constantly hitting a brick wall with searches but i'm determined to see this through and I really appreciate your help Margaret!!

Thankyou so much!!

Kind regards
Gayleen  :o)
NELSONS
ALBERT NORMAN JNR 1921
FREDA, ROBERT, IRENE,

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 October 05 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gayleen, now thats interesting as 'Plaito' or 'Plasto' could be Plaistow which is a postal district of East London [E13].

Until 1930 it was a sub district of West Ham as follows:
West Ham
Created 1st July 1837.
Sub-districts : Canning Town; Forest Gate; Leyton; North East Ham; North Leyton; Plaistow; South East Ham; South Leyton; Stratford; Walthamstow; Wanstead; West Ham.
GRO volumes : XII (1837-51); 4a (1852-1930).
Cann Hall, East Ham, Leyton, Little Ilford, Walthamstow, Wanstead, West Ham, Woodford.
Registers now divided between Newham, Waltham Forest and Redbridge districts

There are lots and lots of people with the surname of Nelson listed on freebmd for this area.

hope this helps with some opportunities to explore?

Margaret
Surname Interests

Offline dm1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayleen,

I think your Albert Norman Nelson is a relative of a friend of mine - I have Albert Norman Nelson Snr born 1901, and Albert Norman Nelson Jnr born 1923 (mother Hilda May Preston). As well as Freda, I have listed Ida, Robert, Hilda M, Mavis J and Irene Doris (my friend's grandmother).

If you have managed to find any info, I'd love to hear from you, I am helping her hunt up her tree. :)

Damien