Author Topic: NEW BDM INDEXES FOR NSW  (Read 10139 times)

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
NEW BDM INDEXES FOR NSW
« on: Saturday 15 October 05 12:52 BST (UK) »
Great news for those of you who have descendants in New South Wales Australia.  The dates of NSW Marriages and Deaths have been extended to:  Marriages to 1954 and Deaths to 1974.  Go to this site to do your lookups.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

Good luck

Reg
Johnson: Scotland & Australia
Robertson: Scotland & Australia
Bedford: London, Surrey, Somerset, Kent, Kensington
Ash(e): Ireland, NSW Australia
Tooley: England, NSW Australia
Austen: Surrey (Shalford)
Jackson: Australia - Ulmarra, Cowper
Howard: Australia - Maclean
Reiley: South Bersted, London
O'Reilley: London & Melbourne Australia
Tubb: Berkshire
Paterson: Scotland, NSW Australia
Higginbotham: possibly England, South Australia, NSW
Tooley: London, Sydney Australia

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BDM INDEXES FOR NSW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 05 14:21 BST (UK) »
You Beaut!  I'm going to be soooo busy for the next few weeks!

Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Gamone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
Reg,

Thank you for posting that great news.

So, the marriages of my grandparents and parents should be there.

:)
And - who knows? - maybe I'll make my appearance there myself - birthwise, I mean - in the not-too-distant future.

Are you aware of any plans under way in NSW for something like the British FreeBMD thing? All my Braidwood research (see the thread I started on bushrangers) runs into a financial brick wall, because it would costs me a lot to obtain all the BMD stuff I need to sort out my Hickey ancestors. I cannot understand why the NSW BMD people don't drop their charges for family-history researchers, because we are rendering a heritage service when we publish our findings. To my way of thinking, the financial burden of this kind of research should be borne by NSW corporations and philanthropists...

William
Skeffington, Skevington, Skiffington, Skivington, etc (England, Ireland) -- Mepham, Pickering (England) -- Walker (Cork) -- Hickey (Tipperary) -- O'Keefe, Dixon (Clare) --  Kennedy, Baillie (Fermanagh) -- Cranston, Dancey (Cavan).

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 05 09:37 BST (UK) »
Reg,

Thank you for posting that great news.

So, the marriages of my grandparents and parents should be there.

And - who knows? - maybe I'll make my appearance there myself - birthwise, I mean - in the not-too-distant future.

Are you aware of any plans under way in NSW for something like the British FreeBMD thing? All my Braidwood research (see the thread I started on bushrangers) runs into a financial brick wall, because it would costs me a lot to obtain all the BMD stuff I need to sort out my Hickey ancestors. I cannot understand why the NSW BMD people don't drop their charges for family-history researchers, because we are rendering a heritage service when we publish our findings. To my way of thinking, the financial burden of this kind of research should be borne by NSW corporations and philanthropists...

William

William

I don't think NSW will drop the fee for service on BMD's.  I got this news from a transcription service that I use instead of dealing direct with the BMD people.  This is the site http://www.transcriptions.com.au  It is a little cheaper.

Is there anything I may be able to look up at the National Library in Canberra for you?  You can PM me if you wish.  Do you know whether your ancestors are buried in Braidwood?  The Genealogical Society here may have something seeing Braidwood is quite close to Canberra.

I also notice that you are a former Grafton person.  Well, I come from Tyndale down towards Maclean on the Pacific Highway.  O now live in Canberra. I saw your website and thought that maybe some of my cousins may be in the school photographs. I couldn't see them.

Reg

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 05 14:55 BST (UK) »
Are you aware of any plans under way in NSW for something like the British FreeBMD thing?

I'm just grateful NSW BDM provide their indexes free.  After all, that is all FreeBDM is.  Although I dont' know why no-one has provided a database for transcribed NSW BDM before registration - the microfische is all available after all.

Beyond that, I just wish the Victorian BDM would take a leaf out of NSW's book and make their indexes free as well.   Ahhhh dream on..

Cheers
Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 October 05 17:37 BST (UK) »
It's weird with deaths being available much later than births
Parents being listed, means I can search for children to a couple by  their death (of course it's harder to prove)

I have found quite a bit more already

The target one day it to link up with those Holmes descendants in NSW!

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 October 05 09:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Reggie

Very weird that there is no publicity on the site, but very useful information

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 05 09:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Reggie

Very weird that there is no publicity on the site, but very useful information

Trish

Trish

I was advised by a transcription agency that I use.  Otherwise I wouldn't have heard about it either.  So, I thought it appropriate to post it on this forum.

Reg

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 October 05 21:19 BST (UK) »
More than "appropriate" - great for NSW researchers - although it will now "cost me" for some extra transcriptions  :)  :)

I must remember to check the birth range occasionally as they may get updated  as well.

Thanks again

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk