Author Topic: Death Indexes . Age?  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Death Indexes . Age?
« on: Saturday 21 August 04 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I wonder if someone could please throw some light on this:

The BMD registers for death; I am looking for one of my ancestors death in the registers ( using the pay for view 1837 site). I have found  only one such name, in the year she was supposed to have died, but it has a "0" against it. Are these "0's" still born babies, or can it be an adult that they did not know the age of?

This ancestor is my husbands great grandmother , and she had some sort of mystery surrounding her for years, nobody really knew much about her. Just that she was supposed to have died when she was a young woman ( by a horse running over her) when my husbands grandmother was just 2 year old, so she never really knew her own mother. I have found her birth, marriage , and  her also in the census as a child . But I would dearly like to find her death to clear a mystery up.

I found a  name in 1911 ( the year she was supposed to have died) but it say's "0" against her age, she would have been around 26 years old that year.

Does anyone know if this "0" does strictly mean it is a 0 and it's a baby not an adult, before I order this death certificate.

Thanks for any help
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Death Indexes . Age?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 04 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell,

And welcome to RootsChat.   ;D

The 1837 site uses the GRO indexes,  as does FreeBMD (which is Free):  http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ .  In the GRO 0 is used for anyone under the age of 1 year,  it could be a stillborn or an infant.  So it is unlikely to be the adult you are looking for.   ;D

Have you tried looking through the local papers where you think she died?  I did this with a relative of mine and got an inquest report and the date of death.  In the case of an accident like this you are likely to find an inquest was required.

Good Luck,

Kazza.  (Gloal Moderator)
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 August 04 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I've used the free BMD , she is not on there at all.

I've searched through four years surrounding her supposed death date on the pay per view, and only found one name that matched hers in Wales.

she has a bit of an unusual name for Wales, or Britain. Her father was from former Russia , but a Scandinavian.  Christina Carlsen ( which they keep making mistakes with , sometimes the census using CarlsOn instead of CarlsEn) .

Anyway, I've searched and searched, and searched ;D with no avail. Only finding this one person with a 0.

My husbands grandmother was a baby when her mother ( this person I'm looking for)  was supposed to have died. Her father and older sibling told her she had be run down by a horse.
It's hell of a mystery.

I can't search the papers in the county halls in the UK  ( I'm in Australia and not in Britain) , or is there  a online site which I can do that by? ( Swansea region) .

Great site by the way, I've been browsing for a little  while now.. and thought I'd at last join up.

I'm having quite a few difficulties with some of our  lines.. My husbands is generally the easiest and have managed to go back to around 1649 on a few of his, except this one line of his grandmothers. Mine is a total mess - I swear they don't want to be found  :)

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 August 04 03:55 BST (UK) »
Cell,

Are you ever in luck, ;D ;D  Welsh Jen,  one of our moderators does Obituary lookups for a living.  She also offers help on Swansea research.  Where does she do this?  Swansea.   ;D ;D

Take a look at this,  http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9402.0 and drop Jen line,  reply to her offer,  and I am sure she will do her best for you.  Tell her I pointed you in her direction.

My ancestors are all hiding in a pig-pen somewhere on census night too.   ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 04 03:58 BST (UK) »
Again thank you! I will try that.

Just one more  quick question.. on the  death indexes are women  listed under maiden or married name? I'm assuming they are listed by their maiden name, and have been looking for her under her maiden  name.

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 04 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell,

I believe women are listed as their legal name at death,  therefore if they are married that is the name that is used.  If I am wrong I am sure someone will shoot me down.  ;D

However,  as a wise man,  Chris,  another one of our moderators,  says,  the death registration is the one you can be sure the person in question is not present at.  Therefore,  us poor family historians are reliant on the facts as provided by the recently bereaved.  In my family they were all so distraught that they seemed to have made it up as they went along.  ::)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:

Area Interests:

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 04 04:14 BST (UK) »
 I was hoping you were not going to say that ;D
Her married name is Evans lol ( now I've got to search through millions  of  Evans!)

Thanks again, I'll try her under Evans, before I ask  anyone for a look up.. I don't like putting people out

Cheers :)

Offline Kazza

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 August 04 04:24 BST (UK) »
Cell,

Evans,  bad luck.   :( 

I have a great line that were easy,  until I got to some Williams,  now I am completely stuck with them.   ;D

At least we don't have Smiths.   ;D ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:

Area Interests:

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 August 04 04:41 BST (UK) »
Williams is my husbands mothers maiden name.. her fathers line  . We had a pretty easy job tracing our Williams believe it or not, because they came from Oystermouth and generations before them ( small area) , and gone back to around 1751  so far on that line.. now it's got hard because we've got to the stage where the williams has turned into the christian name and the surname is owen ( only in Wales eh).

My line is a mess ;one line it's LLoyd ,  and the other side should be the easiest of all  as it's an unusual name ( Quarman). I'm finding this the hardest line of all. I've had to go through birth certificates route to find them , because they didn't fill in a lot of the censuses.

Cheers