Author Topic: Richard ARCHER - any records  (Read 4021 times)

Offline astrowitchee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Richard ARCHER - any records
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi my great grand father was Frederick Thomas Archer (Jockey) born abt 1880 according to my gran in Ireland, his father was Richard James ARCHER deceased by 1906 (a horse dealer)
ANY records would be good as I am stumped!! :-\
James (Swansea) Clymow (Cornwall) Winstone (South Glos) Hopkins (Somerset) Clark (Butcombe Somerset) Gibbons (Limerick) Carroll (Dublin) Archer (Ireland) Knapp (Bristol plus 1 transported Australia)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Richard ARCHER - any records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 07 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hello astrowitchee,

Have you tried the Wexford Public Library Services?

Christopher

Offline astrowitchee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 07 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I actually sent to Records office in Dublin and paid for a search but they couldn't find him, they were really good and rang me and there was no charge.  I have his fathers name which was Richard James Archer from his marriage cert 1906, on which he also states his occupation as Jockey.  I haven't got any further.  I know he died quite young as he worked in a stables and ended up paralysed with a broken neck or back after a fall from a horse.
James (Swansea) Clymow (Cornwall) Winstone (South Glos) Hopkins (Somerset) Clark (Butcombe Somerset) Gibbons (Limerick) Carroll (Dublin) Archer (Ireland) Knapp (Bristol plus 1 transported Australia)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi astrowitchee,

How about trying The Racing Forum ??? They probably know more about horses, jockeys, odds, owners and trainers than most Rootschatters. It's worth a shot. If they don't know the answer they may know of some racing historians who might be able to assist. Horse Racing UK might also be worth trying.

Chris 

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 07 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Your best bet would be trying a parish church in Wexford where your great grandfather & his father was living. As they will be able to look up in the parish register book to see if there are burial records on them. Sometimes the graveyard is near to the church--maybe a parish priest will send a volunteer to look around to see if they were buried with a headstone with dates or not.

Another suggestion is to keep your mind open about the surname's spelling variants--I know the GRO will only search on the surname you gave them--will not search other variants as they told me that they are NOT a genealogical service once.

You would have to look up in the GRO Indexes to see if your man is there. You have two options:

1) Go to the LDS/Family History Centre to view the GRO indexes yourself

2) Place a look-up request in the Death Indexes with this website www.familyulster.com for only one pound per year and ask nicely if he/she would be kind enough to look up on variants of the surname's spelling especially in Co Wexford (we cannot be certain that he died in Co Wexford--he could have died anywhere in Ireland) since you have good name-- that will narrow the searches considerably.
They do have an access to the GRO indexes for the whole island of Ireland up to 1922.

Hope this help you in your quest for the information on your ancestors.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I've misunderstood here- where did great- grandfather get married- was it in Ireland? If so -start there with marriage certificate and 1901 census. If it was in England - same thing really.
best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk