Author Topic: William Shanks - First Provost of Barrhead  (Read 7330 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Shanks - First Provost of Barrhead
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 16:30 BST (UK) »
I am seeking any information on William Shanks who was the first Provost of Barrhead between the years 1894-1896.

I would like to find out where & when he was born and also who his parents were.

I would be grateful for any assistance with this.
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline smuckerooney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Shanks - First Provost of Barrhead
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 17:01 BST (UK) »
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:u52KXOzY0uIJ:www.barrhead-scotland.com/Culture/history/shanks.asp++barrhead++%22william+shanks%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en

This MAY be part of the family...I'd be surprised if it wasn't.  The link to Barrhead organisations may give you the information you're looking for.  I know that places like Barrhead like to keep accurate records of their City Fathers.

Rog
Glasgow Scotland
REDDICK....Kent - Middlesex - Surrey - Sussex

GARDINER - HAINES -  LAMBKIN - PRICE  WALTER...Kent

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 05 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Rog

Thanks very much for this.  If no one on here is able to identify William's origins I will take your advice and contact some of the organisations who have their links on the website.

Regards

Andrew

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline smuckerooney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
                 Thanks for the reply.  Again I would extremely surprised if Barrhead Library has nothing on him.

Happy hunting

Rog ;D
REDDICK....Kent - Middlesex - Surrey - Sussex

GARDINER - HAINES -  LAMBKIN - PRICE  WALTER...Kent

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 05 10:48 BST (UK) »
You could look at http://www.barrhead-scotland.com/Culture/history/shanks.asp which is a potted history of the Shanks family and their influence in Barrhead.

As well as Barrhead Library there is also a heritage centre situated in the Main Street which has a genealogy section.

Maud Devine
Reference & Local History Librarian,
Giffnock Library,
Giffnock
East Renfrewshire

577 4976
maud.devine[at]eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

replace [at] with @

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 05 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn

Thanks very much for this info.

Regards

Andrew  :)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 September 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
I know it is a very old message but quite a few of the Shanks family are buried in Neilston cemetery including William Shanks, First Provost; Andrew Ferrier Shanks and Captain Jack Shanks, killed in action in 1917.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 09 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Murphyz

Thank you for this.  Do you have any more info about these people?

:)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few bits and bobs, I am no relation, more interested in the old houses etc of Barrhead. At one time, everything in Barrhead seemed to be owned by the HEYS family, the Shanks family, or the Cochrane family. Virtually everything relating to them has gone, with the exception of a few Street names.

I think this is correct - William Shanks, the first provost, was the son of Andrew Ferrier Shanks and Isabella Cochrane.  Andrew Ferrier Shanks was the brother of the original founder of Shanks - being John Shanks.

John Shanks born 1826 died 18th December 1895, aged 70 (from Scotlands People).
Andrew Ferrier Shanks born 1831 died 12th May 1893, aged 62 (from Scotlands People).
Their parents were William Shanks and Helen Gowans. One of the original houses owned by the Shanks family was named Gowansbank.

John Shanks went into business for himself in 1851 and invited his brother Andrew to join him in 1855.

There are several gravestones in Neilston, for example:-

"In remembrance of
Isabella Cochrane
Died 1889
Elizabeth Crawford Deas
First Wife of William Shanks
& Mother of Andrew and Douglas
Died 1885, aged 28 years
Andrew Ferrier Shanks
Died 1893, aged 62 years
John Cochrane Shanks
Died 1917
William Shanks J.P.
First Provost of Barrhead
Died 1929, aged 73 *
Beloved Husband of
Louisa Egginton Parker
Agnes Young McQueen
Died 1931
Louisa Egginton Parker
Died 1954
Andrew Ferrier Shanks
1883-1967
Provost of Barrhead
1952-1955
Also his wife
Astrid Brun
1887-1985

* I will need to go back up and double check whether it is 78 or 73.  I have other information on John Shanks etc.  Let me know if there is anything which may be of interest.
Regards
Murphyz