Author Topic: Canal boat register - 1881  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Teltheone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Canal boat register - 1881
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a site, where it lists canal boat registrations issued by British Waterways for a boat known as 'Clara' in the 1880's.

I know that Tohmas Nash was a boatman on her in the 1881 census in Oldbury, Worcs.  I'm trying to find who where the owners of the boat and its register No.

Can any one help ??

I've looked through Google with no Joy.

Thanks
Nash:-             West Bromwich, Birmingham, Worcester
Dangerfield:-   Tipton, West Bromwich, & Canada
Keyes:-            Oldbury (Worcs), West bromwich, Chaceley (Gloucs)
Russell:-           Oldbury (Worcs)
Glover:-            Tipton, West Bromwich
Gorton:-           Oddington (Gloucs)

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Canal boat register - 1881
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 05 21:06 BST (UK) »
hi Telboy
if you subscribe (free) to this mailing list people on it seem to be really helpful and might be ablt to point you in the right direction

CANAL-PEOPLE-L-request@rootsweb.com

if you google british waterways you might find some links etc there too, i did have one or two but cant find them at the mo, sorry.
hope this helps a little
all the best
Maz

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Canal boat register - 1881
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 05 21:45 BST (UK) »
The Canals were nationalised in 1948.  Prior to that each canal or group of canals was run by a seperate company.  British Waterways was formed in about 1965 to take over the running of the canals from the Board of Trade and registered boats and barges to use the canals.  This registration was combined with that for the rivers which was handled by the Environment Agency early this century.

The best way to find what you are looking for is to find the canal museum which is associated with the canal for which you are looking for information.  There are a number of them spread around the country but start from there.  Some records have been combined and moved about, some sit in the appropriate museum and some have been deposited in record offices.  The museum should be able to guide you to what you are loking for.

David   
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk