Author Topic: hanborough again-penny  (Read 2709 times)

Offline sid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
hanborough again-penny
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 20:53 BST (UK) »
hello Penny

I trust that as a newbie I am not breaking the rules but ,on my first visit to Rootschat, I have found your replies regarding Handborough potentially very interesting if they refer to  Hanborough  [north of Eynsham]. If so the following is relevant

Although not currently working directly on my gt-gt grandparents I have acquired sufficient information about their family to utterly confuse me.
Primarily I believe that is because I cannot relate the two current villages containing that name to Freeland  where the mother and children lived -but all were born  in Hanborough between 1815 and 1856 apparently [1861 census].
The husband was born at Eynsham which seemingly being the largest village in the area is where I expected the Hanborough parish church to be located

Unfortunately the link to Hanborough you quoted only gave me  a web hosting purchase page -are there any others relevant to my quest?
I am also interested in whether there was a single parish church [Church Hanborough ?] to serve the entire area and its location or if each hamlet had its own

You stated that you had the Handborough parish records.
If it is relevant,could I possibly impose on your good will to confirm the marriage and birth dates /residence of the individuals at some time convenient time to you.?

As previously mentioned I will be dealing with the childrens subsequent life first and, as I only get 2 hours per week respite, that could potentially take a while

Appologies once again
Sid

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: hanborough again-penny
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Sid, and welcome to Rootschat.  I notice you had another posting which a couple of people have replied to but you seem to be answering somebody different again with this post.  There's a possibility that "Penny" might miss this when it's just in the list with other messages.  Can I suggest that at the bottom of the message Penny has posted you will see that there is a "Reply" button.  If you use that it will open up into another form but when you've finished writing and hit the "Post" button, it will link itself to Penny's message and also send her an email to say that you have replied.  That way she will be certain to get your message.

I hope I've made sense and wish you luck with your search.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 05 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sid ...

Picked up your message, and have been doing a quick bit of research!

Re. the Hanborough website, I haven't been on to this for a while but the old one is obviously defunct.  I've found this one - www.hanborough.net - but it doesn't seem to have all the history pages of the original one, nor any information about the churches.

As far as I can remember, Church Handborough is the original village, with its church of Ss. Peter & Paul.  With the coming of the railway in the mid/late 1800s, Long Hanborough grew up and acquired its own church c1870/80.

Eynsham is approx. 4 miles SSE of Handborough, and Freeland is approx. 1 mile SSW.  The following - taken from the beginning of the Handborough PRs may help to explain the relationship between the three places:

"Freeland was part of Eynsham ecclesiastical parish until made independent in 1869, but later for civil administration it became part of Handborough, until it obtained its own parish council in 1949.  The church at Handborough was nearer for Freeland residents than that at Eynsham, and up to 1829 a large number of baptisms of Eynsham folk were recorded, but from that date Freeland appeared in the registers, and the Eynsham quota decreased proportionately."

Not terribly clear - but it may help!

I'm always "open" for lookups (also have OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index 1538-1837) - what do you need?

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline sid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 05 15:41 BST (UK) »
hI penny
Thank you very much for the explanation which helps me get some relationship previously missing

the some total of the HATHAWAY family of which I am aware of as at 1861 and will next be concerned are

John born Eynsham [could this be Hanborough ?] in 1813 died in June qrtr1874 age 63 I believe.[Witney certificate number]

Sophia [neeWALKER] born1815 married above ,I believe,15/11/34 [I have a reference of vol 4[marked as vol5] she died in the period betwee the 61/71 census but no record can be found

John jnr born about 1840 died Sept 1874 details as father

Harriett born ~1848 appears to have worked later in Dartford.No other details.

Emma born ~1850 later worked in Culham No other details.

Eliza born ~1856 no detail

All were listed as born Hanborough and lived at Freeland until 1874

If You would be so kind as to note any reference to John and Sophias parents that would be an exceptional bonus.

As I mentioned previously I am not desperate [see my Middlesex page problems]

Thank you once again for your reply sorry to be rather vague at this stage

Sid

Offline Oxfordshire FHS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 05 15:48 BST (UK) »

You can download a free Oxfordshire parishes map from the Oxfordshire FHS website. There's also a free Oxford City parishes map. Both from :-

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/web/ofhs.html

You'll need the free Acrobat reader to use 'em. 

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 October 05 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Sid ...

Here are your entries from the Handborough PRs (I know you said "no rush", but I tend to lose these things if they hang around too long!) ... so:

John HATHAWAY (born c 1813) - no record on register, but see marriage record below

05 FEB 1815 - WALKER, Sophia, d. Samuel and Sarah, lab
28 APR 1839 - HATHAWAY, John, s. John and Sophia, lab
23 APR 1848 - HATHAWAY, Harriet, d. John and Sophia, lab
07 JUL 1850 - HATHAWAY, Emma, d. John and Sophia, lab
11 MAY 1856 - HATHAWAY, Eliza, d. John and Sophia, lab, Freeland

15 NOV 1834 - John HATHAWAY, b, Ensham + Sophia WALKER, sp
Witnesses: Thomas HATHAWAY and Elisabeth WALKER

In case they're of any use, I also happened to spot the following baptism entries (there may be more):

11 APR 1841 - HATHAWAY, James, s. John and Sophia, lab
20 APR 1851 - HATHAWAY, Edwin, s. James and Charlotte, lab, Freeland
22 AUG 1852 - HATHAWAY, William, s. John and Sophia, lab
21 NOV 1852 - HATHAWAY, Edward, s. Edward and Emma, lab
31 MAY 1857 - HATHAWAY, Fanny, d. James and Charlotte, lab, Freeland

Hope this helps!

Pennie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline sid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 October 05 20:49 BST (UK) »
hello both
Thank you for your replies which I appreciate
I will certainly obtain a copy of the area when I start work on that generation

Pennie -what can I say
You have wildly exceeded even my most optimistic expectations in both content and speed [and given me another topic i.e 2 HATHAWAY families in one small hamlet - that should be interesting !!]
I really appreciate your time, speed and effor ts
I am sure I will be back for more
Thank You
Sid

Offline sid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 October 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
hi Pennie
 Just a quick line to appologise for not responding direct ly to you on your sterling efforts
 unfortunately time is something I never seem to have so I resorted to a combined mail only to realise much later you may not pick it up in the form sent.
If you did not please see above posting
Very many thanks and I will keep in touch as the two families in Freeland/Eynsham/Handborough seems to hold the keys to many problems I am encountering with 2 later generations
Regards
sid

Offline sid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 05 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennie

I should be very greatful If you could clarify for me

A JAMES HATHAWAY is apparently shown on the 1851 census of JOHN HATHAWAYs family with a birth of 1841 but my  understanding -confirmed by you was that a christening of JOHN took place that year [see yours above].
Irather expect an enumerator error]

Additionally an ANN was present at the same time.Do you have any information on her dying before the 1961 census please?

many thanks
sid