Author Topic: Any ideas on how to find a birth listed as CHESTER , circa 1811?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
Any ideas on how to find a birth listed as CHESTER , circa 1811?
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
To state  the dilemma more fully----, thanks to the kind soul who did the lookup for me,
   1. I have  JOHN NIXON, or NICKSON, listed on the 1851 census as living in Middlewich with wife Ann, John's age 40, and born Chester(HO107-2160-F309)
    2. So far John has not been located on the 1841, and even if he were, it would merely state whether he was born in or out of county.
     3.  As he was married before 1837, this means there is no certificate to provide names of parents or other clues.
     4. There was a marriage listed on the IGI for John Nickson , with the correct bride's name, Ann, but this was submitted by an LDS member, rather than being a transcription of filmed records. However I have located said marriage myself  in Middlewich Parish Records while on holiday in the UK
    It reads only:
    John Nixon  chimney sweep Middlewich  and Ann Cork were married in this church by banns by me Isaac Wood  vicar this 27th day of February in the year 1832
   mark of JN, mark of AC
in the presence of mark of Harriet Hook, mark of Joseph Hook.
   So,  I know this is the right John and his wife but little else.
     5. There  is a  possible entry for John ( I have found Ann myself in Sandbach PR) on the IGI for a christening in July 1811 but in Frodsham. Would this or would it not count as Chester? Where else could I look?
                    Any comments, thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, especially as it will be twelve months before I can get back to Chester Records Office.
                            Regards
                                              Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on how to find a birth listed as CHESTER , circa 1811?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 05 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

As you can see in the link below there are a great many churches within the Chester Parishes but Frodsham is not a part of them, it is a seperate parish altogether.

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/chs/chester.html

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/chs/frodsham.html

Of course the Cheshire records office would do a search for you but without a name of a parent the right one would be impossible to ID.

I dont want to lead you down the wrong path, but if he was born within the parish of Chester as he says then this marriage I found in an index of Cheshire looks a likely one to start with. 17/April/1809 a John Nixon married Ann Ward at St John's Chester it may be an idea to try and find any children born to this couple and follow them through.

Good Luck

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on how to find a birth listed as CHESTER , circa 1811?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking into this for me, Peter. I really appreciate your time and trouble.
    I knew  Chester was a big place, and was dreading the trawl.  False trails are par for the course,are they not, and you have given me a place to start. Just clinging to a vain hope there with Frodsham.
    I should have pointed out that John Nixon died before the 1861, so we lose the chance of a second enumerator's take on his place of birth. As a lay preacher he was also innovative with his childens names -- Daniel, Ezra, Shadrach, Mesach and Abednego. So not much chance of guessing at family first names either! Methusalah? Nebuchadnezzar?
           Well, I take your clue with gratitude and will press on

Regards and best wishes
                                                                Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk