Author Topic: Book owned by RATCLIFFE in Walkden  (Read 4159 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Book owned by RATCLIFFE in Walkden
« on: Sunday 22 August 04 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Peeps, I have a Economic Geography book, owned & used by a Ratcliffe living in Walkden in the 1920's.  It has their initial & address written inside plus numerous study notes.  It doesn't have any intrinsic value but would be of interest to family members only.  Provide the missing links and it's yours for the cost of postage (it's quite heavy - bag of sugar weight).  I saw this in a charity shop and thought it would be a good way to re-unite it with the family and it only cost 15p.  As well as rescuing books with inscriptions, I'm pestering local second-hand shops, you know the ones who do house clearances, to save any photos of service men in uniform which they just throw away at the moment.  Again this is to try & re-unite them with their families or failing that I believe the MOD welcome them.  Perhaps we could all do this, just imagine what we could save from being binned!  Sorry to go on, regards, Tony
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Book owned by RATCLIFFE in Walkden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
          You belt away tony, what a great idea, I have for sometime now been hoovering up old docs and billheads mainly from around the Macclesfield area of Cheshire, one day when I get time I will try to reunite them with present day connections.
Names and addresses are great but nothing beats finding a photo, or how much it cost and who pointed your house in 1850.

keep up the good work

peterbennett 
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 04 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I know a Richard Ratcliffe, who is a family history lecturer etc., not sure about the area, but will try and contact him and ask him about your book.

Cheers Diane :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 04 10:44 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick word with him and he doesn't think it's his.

Worth a try.

Cheers Diane :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.