Author Topic: surnames Roddick/Riddick/Barclay/Beattie/Cossar in var. locations  (Read 13198 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
surnames Roddick/Riddick/Barclay/Beattie/Cossar in var. locations
« on: Sunday 22 August 04 12:25 BST (UK) »
I am looking for anyone with connections to the surnames
Rodick/Roddick/Riddick/Riddoch [and other variations ]all around the areas of Ruthwell,Dalton and Cummertrees and other locations in Dumfrieshire between 1700 and 1900
Also Beattie in Springfield/Gretna 1800 to 1900.
Barclay in Ruthwell area around 1750 to 1800.
Cossar in Moffat 1850 to 1900.

Regards
Tom Gaunt
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: surnames Roddick/Riddick/Barclay/Beattie/Cossar in var. locations
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I don't have any specific connection to your names though I have definitely seen them in the OPR & census whilst passing.  If you would like any specific look ups let me know, I have access to Dumfriesshire films at my local library.

Cheers,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks
 RODDICKS/RIDDICKS
Too numerous to mention
Born in either Rothwell,St. Mungo,Lochmaben, Moffat or Dalton
In the 1851 census some are living in Cummertrees, Dumfries, Kirkpatrick Fleming,Annan, Johnstone. Same for the Beatties. Beatties also living in Gretna and Springfield.
This is an itchy footed family who have branched far and wide. Canada, USA,New Zealand,South Africa and Argentina.
I know a lot about the later lot, but not much inf on the earlier ones

Any information you can find would be much appreciated.

Regards

Tom
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline Roddick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 06:54 BST (UK) »
I am a Roddick and maybe I can help you.  I and several others in Canada, Scotland, Wales, the USA and England have been studying the overall family for almost 20 years.  Rodddick(s) have emigrated from Scotland to England, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other places around the world.  I live in San Jose, CA.  My earliest family roots are traced to Scroggs Mill slightly east of Lockerbie.  But, Roddicks peppered the entire area of Dumfriesshire and Lanark.

David Roddick
Roddick - Dumfriesshire; McFeg[g]an - Dumfriesshire; Lightbody - Lanarkshire

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 11:43 BST (UK) »
My Roddicks/Riddicks start with  William RODDICK b. about 1670 in Dumfrieshire. [no record of spouse]
5 children known, one of which was Archibald RIDDICK
cx. St.Mungo Dfs. 1704. He married Janet NEILSON,one known child William b. abt. 1743 in Ruthwell.William's spouse Elizabeth CARRUTHERS.
9 children known inc Andrew Riddick cx Jan 29 1781 in Ruthwell.spouse Jane BARCLAY married Aug 29 1807 Clarencefield,Dfs. 12 children inc. Elizabeth RIDDICK b. 1824 Dalton,Dfs [my wife's ancestor] and James Barclay RIDDICK who's descendants are in New Zealand.

various records [census etc. has them at Ruthwell, Cummertrees,Dumfries,Moffat.

I have an extensive tree to numerous for here

Tom G
Tree

Offline Roddick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 04 04:40 BST (UK) »
I have your family in my databas and have attached a text file for your info.  Much of the current information came from New Zealand descendants.  Can you tell me the source for the father and siblings of Archibald?

David Roddick

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 04 05:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks,

Tom G
Tree

Offline Roddick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 September 04 05:47 BST (UK) »
Apparently you have been communicating with Steve Roddick of Wales who sent me a family tree he must have received from you.  I note some significant differences from what I sent you.  I will look forward to your comments.  Some of the generations appear mixed up within the families.  I thank you for your participation on this website otherwise I might not have found you.

David

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 September 04 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I found your data most interesting
 Some of the information I have came via New Zealand from Liz Thompson. I also accessed the 1851 census for Dumfrieshire, and the IGI to try and verify it. If you think my data may be incorrect, I am open to correction. After all I only had one Riddick in the tree a couple of months ago.

Once again many thanks for your help

Tom G

Tree