Author Topic: Naturalisation  (Read 869 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Naturalisation
« on: Tuesday 18 October 05 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Am I right in believing that British people did not need to be naturalised in Canada (and Australia?)

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalisation
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 11:22 BST (UK) »
Bob,

That's right for Canada.  I don't know what year it changed. 

That's one of the reasons why it can be harder to trace family in early Canada:  there are no naturalization records to provide clues.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 05 03:04 BST (UK) »
From 1763 to 1 January 1947, people born in the provinces and colonies of British North America were all British subjects. So immigrants from Great Britain and the Commonwealth
 (England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland) did not have to be  naturalized.

You can read more about Naturalization Records in Canada, who had to naturalize, when records began, what records exist and where to find them, at
http://naturalizationrecords.com/canada/
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 05 05:28 BST (UK) »
 This was added to the research in canada thread...but you may have missed it.  It would be expensive with your long list of requests, but some of your queries are being answered, so this would be your best bet for finishing when all other avenues are depleted.

National Registration File of 1940 costs bit of $ and  must prove
death of 20 years or more.
http://www.statcan.ca:8096/bsolc/english/bsolc?catno=93C0006

If the link doesn't work, just cut and paste into your search line....
On it will be:
    *  name;
    * address;
    * age;
    * date of birth;
    * marital status;
    * number of dependents;
    * place and country of birth of individual and his or her parents;
    * nationality;
    * year of entry into Canada (if an immigrant);
    * racial origin;
    * languages;
    * education;
    * general health;
    * occupation, employment status, farming or mechanical skills; and
    * previous military service
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 05 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have an added complication

There is probably some surviving correspondence from the Canadian branch with my aunt. The older papers give her problems with her Asthma - this would take some finding as well. My aunt is elderly, she has been in hospital , and so doesn't want to sort the older papers

However she did find a letter informing of Florences death in Vancouver in 1898  from an employee of a care home. It also referred to her brother Albert's death three years earlier.

Also a large bundle of photographs, of the Edwards and Smiths, many of whom  I don't know.

I'll do a little more transcription of the 1911 Census - eventually I hope a few more relatives will appear.

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com