Author Topic: Joseph DAWSON, and Mary MAYHEW - born c 1775 parish regaister lookup  (Read 12485 times)

Offline Abbytess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph DAWSON, and Mary MAYHEW - born c 1775 parish regaister lookup
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 February 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Good morning. Thanks so much for getting back to me. The John Mayhew I am interested in is indeed the one who married Elizabeth Adams and had about 8 children in Westhall. My direct ancestor is John's son James, whose son Alfred emigrated to Quebec in 1836 as a pioneer to a community which came to be called Canterbury.

I have seen the family trees on ancestry that show the family going back to Henry Mayhew of Parham whose was a clockmaker. I was even able to purchase two of his clocks when I was based in London some 25 years ago. Now that I am retired I am really interested in learning more about the Mayhew family background. However, I have not been able to determine with any assurance that the ancestry path shown in the family tree is accurate beyond John and Elizabeth. Anything you can provide in this regard would be so appreciated.
Best regards
Gord

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 February 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

I'm deeply suspicious of the link back to Parham, sadly, as I think I've said earlier on this thread.

I did have note of a John Mayhew born in Walpole in 1717 who sounds a more likely next generational step going backwards; but I can't at the moment find the source for this - it didn't come up on a search of ancestry and familysearch.

Have you seen John's will (made 1814, `proved' on his death in 1823)?  It refers to 10 children, with quite a lot of detail.  I could post a summary here or email it.

Denis

Offline Abbytess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 February 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Denis. Yikes! My whole life may be a lie, as well as my heirloom clocks. Thanks for the info on the Walpole John Mayhew; I will see if I can find anything on him. I do not have a copy of the John Mayhew Will and would really appreciate having a copy.

Gord