Author Topic: Doyle in Tallansworth  (Read 2810 times)

Offline RMackin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Doyle in Tallansworth
« on: Tuesday 18 October 05 16:10 BST (UK) »
Am looking for information about Margaret "Maggie" Doyle. She was born about 1851. "Native of Tallanstown" is inscribed on tombstone. She came to the U.S. in 1871 and married Thomas Hanrahan by 1873. They had children: John, born 1874, died 1904; Mary, born 1875/6, married Robert Macken 1900, died 1956; and Teresa, born 1878, died 1880.  Maggie died of diptheria in 1881 and was originally buried in a plot belonging to John Rafferty in Woodside, NY. In the late 1890's she was reinterred when Thomas bought a plot in the same cemetery.

I know it's not much to go by but it's all I have for now. Hoping someone might recognize the family.

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle in Tallansworth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 21:21 BST (UK) »
RM:

Some Roman Catholic records for the period 1804 to 1883 are on microfilm available from an LDS Family History Center. The number, I believe, is 0979712

Tallanstown

Baptisms
Nov 9 1817 - Apr 13 1825
Sept 25 1830 - Nov 6 1835
l Nov 9 1835 - Sept 28 1875
Oct 12 1875 - Dec 27 1880

Marriages
Apr 4 1804 - Mar 16 1816
Apr 17 1816 - June 1 1863
Aug 31 1867 - Nov 25 1880   LDS Family history library British Film Area 0979712 item 4- 9

From Samuel Lewis Topigraphical Dictionary 1837
TALLANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (W.S.W.) from Dundalk, on the road from Drogheda to Monaghan, and on the river Glyde; containing 1074 inhabitants, of which number, 60 are in the village. The parish, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 3210¼ statute acres: the soil is in general good, and agriculture has greatly advanced, the resident gentry and farmers having exerted themselves to introduce the improved system both in the cultivation of land and in the rearing of cattle. The principal seats are Lisreigny, that of W. Filgate, Esq., a handsome residence in an extensive and well-planted demesne, and the grounds and hedge-rows are exceedingly well kept; Arthurstown, of T. W. Filgate, Esq., also a handsome residence; and Louth Hall, of Lord Louth, a spacious castellated mansion, in a demesne of about 250 acres, which are well planted; on this estate are 700 acres of the best land in Ireland, under tillage. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Charlestown or Philipstown; the rectory is impropriate in the Hon. J. Leslie Foster, third Baron of the Exchequer. The tithes amount to £260. 3. 8., of which £215. 13. 8. is payable to the impropriator, and £44.10. to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Tallanstown, Charlestown, Philipstown, Clonkeen, and Clonkeehan, in which union are two chapels, one in Tallanstown, the other at Reastown in Philipstown. A school for female children was built by T. W. Filgate, Esq., in his demesne at Arthurstown, and is supported by Mrs. and Miss Filgate; there is also a school at Lisreigny: in these schools about 80 children are taught.

http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/lewis_parsonstown_to_tullyallen.htm

Hope this is of some help.
Good luck.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Shieldslad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle in Tallansworth
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 October 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
I have just visited Tallantown and the church there is St Peters & Pauls Father Clarke, he let me go through the Parish register and I found all my McCabes and Mooneys. However, you will have to visit as it cant be done over the phone or e mail etc. The records are clearly re-typed from the originals and are great to search they are alphabetical indexed. Wish I had of seen your mail first I would have done it for you, as it was easy.

Best Regards

Bob Taylor