Author Topic: Provost Shanks of Denny  (Read 12209 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Provost Shanks of Denny
« on: Tuesday 18 October 05 18:30 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know whether there ever a Provost of Denny with the surname Shanks?

Did a quick search on Google for this but came up with nothing, so hopefully someone will know the answer.  :)

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Provost Shanks of Denny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 21:15 BST (UK) »
There were three Shanks' Provosts of Denny & Dunipace

Thomas Shanks, born 22nd January 1829, died 27th March 1912.

James Kirkwood Shanks, M.B.E., D.L., J.P., born 20th February 1870, died 3rd November 1957

William Moffat Shanks, C.A., J.P., died 3rd October 1971 (Provost 1956 - 1958)

All buried in Denny Cemetery.

Anne

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
Anne

This is great.

My interest in this came about because my father recalls seeing a heavy brass desk set in the home of his aunt that was inscribed 'Provost Shanks, Denny'

We assumed that she had picked it up somewhere as a curiousity but now believe that there may have been a family link. 

I guess that what I need to do now is track back the ancestry of the 3 Provosts to see whether I can establish a link with my own family.

Hopefully someone will have some info about their families.

Regards

Andrew

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 22:07 BST (UK) »
My pleasure Andrew,

I have a note of the full inscriptions for each stone so that might make things easier for you.

In the meantime, I think I've still got your personal e-mail from the Falkirk Library stuff I sent you. I'll have a rake either tonight or tomorrow and e-mail you the details. If I can't find it (which is more probable than not), I'll PM you and you can send it to me that way.

Anne.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Thanks again.

I think that I have found Provost James Kirkwood Shanks, M.B.E., D.L., J.P., born 20th February 1870, died 3rd November 1957 in the 1881 census (SHANKS James K.  Son   11  M  Scholar Denny, Stirling, Scotland 1302).

His parents were Thomas Shanks and Mary Kirkwood who married in Denny in 1860.  Thomas' parents were David Shanks and Janet Black.  Interestingly, Mary's parents were James Kirkwood and Elizabeth Shanks.

Unfortunately, with the info that I have at present I cannot see a link with this family.  So I guess that I need to look at the other 2 Provosts to see whether anything jumps out.  It could well be that they are all related to each other.

Andrew

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
Andrew,

Couldn't find your e-mail so here's the inscriptions . . . . I should have just posted them in the first place.

(Centre Stone)
In Memoriam
Ex Provost THOMAS SHANKS, Ironfounder, born 22nd January 1829
Died at Beechfield 27th March 1912
MARY GARDNER KIRKWOOD, wife of Thomas Shanks  born 31st May 1831, died 24th April 1909
HELEN KIRKWOOD, THOMAS KIRKWOOD, THOMAS ALEXANDER, who died in infancy
MARY KIRKWOOD SHANKS their daughter, born 28th June 1863, died 31st August 1936.
Cruikshanks and Company Limited, Iron and Steel Founders 1870 – 1985         
(Left Stone)
In fond memory of DAVID SHANKS beloved husband of Jessie M.M. Luke
Who passed away at Beechfield, Denny on the 6th July 1915
Also JESSIE MAY McGREGOR LUKE, his widow
Died at Manor Place, Edinburgh 10th February 1935
ALEXANDER CLARK HORSLEY, M.C. husband of Mary T. Shanks
Born 3rd November 1906, died 11th December 1991.       
Interred in Shorne                                

(Right Stone)
Ex Provost JAMES KIRKWOOD SHANKS, M.B.E., D.L., J.P.
Born 20th February 1870, died at Beechfield 3rd November 1957
Also JANE MOFFAT, his widow  Born 23rd March 1876, died at Gravesend 5th December 1973
Their daughter MARY K. SHANKS, wife of Alexander Horsley
Born 14th February 1904, died 21st May 2001

~~~~~~~~---------

“Spero Meliora”
In ever loving remembrance of WILLIAM MOFFAT SHANKS C.A., J.P.
Provost of Denny and Dunipace from 1956 – 1958, died 3rd October 1971
Dearly beloved husband of AGNES MILLER died 29th January 1996     

~~~~~~~~----------

The first two are obviously from the same family, I can't remember offhand whether it's three separate stones or one stone with three sections.   

Denny Cemetery is really nice - why don't you have a wee day out there and see for yourself. Its full of people with all the names you are searching!

Anne                       

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Well this is very useful and gives me something to work on.

The strange thing is that my gt grandfather Thomas Shanks (who was aunt Nancy's father) came from Glasgow and, as far as I am aware, had no connection with Denny.  However, his wife was descended from the Neilson, Allan & Wood families of Falkirk.  Her cousin William Wood  owned Burnbrae Hse on Camelon Rd in Falkirk and was married into the Stirling family of Denny.  I suspect that it is through the Stirlings that there is a link to the Shanks family of Denny as I know that there were marriages between people with these surnames in the Denny area. 

The problem is finding that connection!  Hopefully the mystery will resolve itself one day!

Andrew

Offline Mrs Cat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 June 10 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

I found this very old link when searching for information on my family tree which includes Bains, Kirkwoods,  Gillespies and Shanks from Denny Stirlingshire.

If you are interested please email me then I can invite you to view my tree on Geni and you can see if you can work out a Shanks link.  My email is (*)

Yesterday I found a poem online written by James Kirkwood from Garth Denny (great great great Uncle on my Dad's mother's side) called The Patriot.  What a fabulous tool the internet is! 

Look fwd to hearing from you.

Linda

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Shautzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
The origin of Shanks from my mother's information is German - Baron Von Schink. The name was changed to Shanks.