Author Topic: Rushwick and Elmbridge  (Read 2138 times)

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
  • Martha Murray 1920-1990
    • View Profile
Rushwick and Elmbridge
« on: Tuesday 18 October 05 23:08 BST (UK) »
Does any one have any access to the records for Rushwick and Elmbridge?
I am still looking for the family of Millerships/Mellorchip/Mellichip and a number of other connotations :'(. Thomas and his wife Elizabeth were found with their 1  year old son William and Sarah age 60 ( thomas's mum?) in the 1841 census.
I thought I had found the right marriage for Thomas to an Elizabeth(Tonbs) on the free bmd only to find out when I put in for certificate  the Elizabeth and Thomas on those pages had not married each other >:( I know the whole family originate from this area and was wondering if anyone may be able to help me tracing Thomas's father. Thomas was marked as being 20 years old and an agricultural labourer in 1841 and he was born in the county of Worcs.
Millership Worcs Staffs   Creer Liverpool IOM  Fishwick Cheshire   Edwards Lancs Cheshire   Smith Cheshire  Murray Lancs  Fitzpatrick Down Ireland  Hewitt  Norfolk  Girdlestone Norfolk  Reilly Ireland Anglesey  Youd  Cheshire  Parker Cheshire  Linacre Cheshire  Higgins Ireland Anglesey   Dickson Lancs  Bohannan Lancs   Downey Gallway Ireland

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rushwick and Elmbridge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 19:31 BST (UK) »
There is quite a distance between Rushwick and Elmbridge!

Which village were they in 1841? There is no church at Rushwick as far as I know - I think the nearest might be Crowneast.
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
They were living at rushock wood Worcestershire in the 1841 census if that is any use to you?

1861...Indexed Manship! Actually spelled Mellanship
Thomas Head 42  Elizabeth Wife 43
William son 21 John Son 19  Edward 9  Ann 7 James 6 George 4 Alfred 2 Emma 9m
Rushwick and Elmbridge
This is what I have from the 1861 census hence I said Rushwick and Elmbridge ??? ;D
The 1871 census has the family living at Cashes Lane Elmbridge.
I think the family do originate from Elmbridge as I have this for the 2 elder sons from the 1871 census
 Joseph Millenchip  25 Ag Lab Elmbridge, Worcs
Edward Millenchip 20 Ag Lab 20 Rushwick Worcs.
I hope this is of use to you I would really appreciate it if someone can solve the mystery of my Millerships as there are a few of them from this area dating back to 1786 ( John Mellichip) on the IGI.
Millership Worcs Staffs   Creer Liverpool IOM  Fishwick Cheshire   Edwards Lancs Cheshire   Smith Cheshire  Murray Lancs  Fitzpatrick Down Ireland  Hewitt  Norfolk  Girdlestone Norfolk  Reilly Ireland Anglesey  Youd  Cheshire  Parker Cheshire  Linacre Cheshire  Higgins Ireland Anglesey   Dickson Lancs  Bohannan Lancs   Downey Gallway Ireland

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 05 19:25 BST (UK) »
I think it is RUSHOCK rather than RUSHWICK (a village on the edge of Worcester)  :)

Have you seen the possible birth of daughter Emma Mellowship? Registered Dec 1/4 of 1860 at Droitwich. If this is the correct one, it will give mother's maiden name which could help with parent's marriage.

The spelling is so varied it is hard to distinguish between them - I don't envy you!

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Noo Noo, no I haven't noticed that one but as you say if I can find the birth cert with the right one ;D I will find mums maiden name. Thomas is my hubby's GG granddad, his G granddad is Edward and I have chased my tail with different spellings looking for his birth ??? I have even threatened to divorce my hubby because I cant be certain what our name should be ;D . Since 1841 its been Mellorchip, Mellorship, Mellichip, Mellinchip, Manship, Mellanship, Mellinchip, Melenship, Millenchip, Melchip and Mellershep ??? so if anyone out there finds one of those please let me know ;)

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 05 21:43 BST (UK) »
just browsing freebmd and found:   

George Bowman Mellows_ep     June 1856 Droitwich

this fits with the George Beaumont Mellorship on IGI baptised Elmbridge

wonder which transcription is correct?

the middle name could be mum's maiden name?

I also spotted 2 more Mellorchips living as servants in Upton Warren. Thomas aged 18 born Elmbridge and Elizabeth aged 13 born Dodderhill. Wonder if they fit in too?

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Noo Noo
Sorry its taken me so long to reply to your last post been rather busy. I have tried searching IGI for an Elizabeth Bowman/ Beaumont  Thomas Millership (and derivatives ;D) getting married but no luck :(.
I even got back on to records office to beg them and see if Thomas from the Kidderminster marriage may have married another Elizabeth, but as usual even though they did have a photocopy of the whole page of those marriage transcriptions they wouldn’t tell me. I would just have to spend another £8.50 :o and then they could probably tell me that Thomas wasn’t married to an Elizabeth at all. 
I think I will take a chance and get the birth cert of George or Emma as they must be the children of Thomas and Elizabeth as per census records.
Then I will have to see if I can find the right marriage records ??? Thanks again for your help.