Author Topic: JANE family Bodmin  (Read 8604 times)

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
Re: Jane family Bodmin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1851 Carminnow Cross, Bodmin

Philip Jane               46     ag lab              b Lanlivery
Ann Jane                 32                             b St Columb
Agnes Ann Jane      11                             b Lanlivery
William T Jane          5                              b Lanivet
Simon P Jane           3                              b Lanlivery
Samson F Jane        1                              b Bodmin

Hope this helps your quest. I live a couple of miles from Lanlivery let me know if I can be of any help.

Best wishes       Sue

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: JANE family Bodmin
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I have just been revisiting this past posting and wish to thank everyone, belatedly,  for the information they found for me. Your help was, as always, appreciated. Must have been sidetracked to have missed this!   ::) 

My apologies to all.

Elsie  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elsie,

Years on but these days I could help with full details from the St Col entries. Give us a hoy if you still require anything..........Kris  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris.

Thanks for your kind offer.  :) :) There are still many gaps...!!! 

The surnames that I know I am chasing in St Columb are HUGO and SIMONS / SYMONDS / SYMONS, and it is possible that some MORLEN / MORLAIN family were in the area.

I am aware that the Simon's family had a connection to the Indian Queen Inn in St Columb.

Anne JANE's parents were William HUGO and Jane SIMONS. Jane was born about 1780 in St Columb to parents Francis Simons and Elizabeth Morlen / Morlain. I believe Jane married William HUGO in 1796 but don't know where. I am "assuming" St Columb, but would appreciate having that verified or cancelled out.

I would like to know if possible the death/burial details for Francis (b circa 1734) and Elizabeth SIMONS, nee Morlain, (b circa 1744).

William HUGO, b circa 1775, and the HUGO family are a complete mystery. Any snippets concerning William and the HUGO family would be more than I have been able to find thus far.

This is a big hoy, Kris!!!  ;)

Elsie

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 01:19 GMT (UK) »
OK Elsie,

I will see what I can spot.  ;)

Here is full details of the 1826 marriage provided earlier

Richard UDY Bachelor of St Issey = Betsy HUGO Spinster otp by Banns 20 Nov 1826. Both signed with their marks. witnesses Robt Kent and John Hugo

The parents marriage was in St Enoder

William HUGO Miller otp = Jenifer Jane SYMONS spinster of St Col Major by Licence 20 Oct 1797 St Enoder. Both signed (Jane signed as Jane Symonds) witnesses Richard ? and Richd [PD]oole

Baptised St Col Major _ parents William and Jane

John HUGO 7 Feb 1800
Betsy HUGO 9 Jul 1802

Now the register is not very good but I didnt spot anything else. (register awful, faded etc and not thoroughly studied) Thankfully it improved when we got to the forms in 1813 but nothing until I find your Ann

Ann HUGO 9 Jan 1820 parents William and Jane Hugo of Indian Queens Father Miller (sounds to me more like an area than the pub since William is a miller)

so wonder where they were for nearly 20 years  :-\ (some possibilities in IGI)

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 01:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible burial in St Enoder

Jane HUGO aged 50 of Trevarthen St Columb Major buried 29 Feb 1828 St Enoder

I do also note

Jane Murlin HUGO aged 18 of Trevarthen St Columb Major was buried 26 Jan 1828 St Enoder (I took a good look at around 1809 and no sign of a baptism in St Col Major)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Kris..this is fantastic information.  ;D Thank you.

I have been scouring my map of Cornwall, poor tired thing that it is becoming, and I have noticed there is actually a place/area called Indian Queens. So could be either. Indian Queens might have been where they were living then, or Jane could have returned for the birth to her parent's posting house and inn, The Indian Queen Inn, located near the junction at Fraddon, at the road off to Newquay in the west. Indian Queens seems to be only about a mile, if that, from the actual inn. Something new I have learnt geographically.

Kris, I assume "By Licence" means Jane was under age at the time of her marriage to William Hugo?

The John Hugo's baptism you listed for Feb 1800....his baptism notes record that John is the son of William and Jane Hugo. Am I reading you correctly?

Armed with new information, I'll have a browse through the IGI. Fingers crossed.  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Now on the Symons I see

Francis SYMONS otp = Elizabeth MARTIN otp 5 Sep 1765 St Columb Major (unfortunately the original is missing so I cannot confirm her name. All there is is the 1881 transcript by Mr Arthur Jewers, to assist with entries from 1755-1780 and it says Martin)

Baptised St Columb Major - parents Francis and Elizabeth

Ann 8 Mar 1767
William 2 Apr 1769
Peter 21 Apr 1771
Francis 13 Jun 1773
Eliz 16 Jul 1775
John 12 Jul 1778
Jane 24 Apr 1780

Sorry, I can see no burials for Francis and Elizabeth in St Col Major. I think I have taken a pretty good look though some spots are not too clear. Do you havve any idea when they died?

Time to get away from this reader I am seeing double ......LOL

Will be back later if you have any questions.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Timing.....I didn't realise you were back online.  ;D Sorry I really have to take my eyes away from screens for a bit but marriage was by 1 of two ways. Either by Banns, where the Banns of the marriage were read on three generally consecutive Sundays at least in one of the home parishes - usually the grooms -  prior to the marriage. The other way is by licence where with the payment of a fee a licence was granted and the marriage could take place immediately. The upper class generally preferred this method as it was a matter of status in that they could afford the fee, where other poorer folk could not. (though at times a marriages of poorer folk was by licence as for some reason they were in a hurry to tie the knot, (wishing to immigrate or baby about to arrive) In this case I suspect it was a matter of Status as William was a miller. The age of the participating parties would have no bearing on whether the marriage was by licence or banns.

Yes I found the three baptism in St Col Major. All list parents as William and Jane and I note John was a witness at the marriage.

Kris  :D (Back Later)  ;)