Author Topic: Marriage and births in Leith  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and births in Leith
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 January 06 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh Rena! Thank you so much :)

She's the right age and everything! I now know who her parents are. I'll go hunting for births, deaths and anything else I can find now :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 January 06 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't know who's more excited! you or me!! :-))

The freebmd site is busy so I couldn't look at the 1851 Berwick census to see if Marian was working near Richard.  Or maybe she went out on the boat with her fisherman father & met Richard by chance. You'll have to phone round your old relatives (female in-laws are best) to see what they were told.
Looking at your birth list - it seems to me that Marian was following tradition; John is the 2nd son so I think there has to be a Margaret born before 1853 who died.  The puzzle is why the additional name of William? 

It's definitely a happy new year :-)
Rena
<<I will list the children in order. As far as I know, there are no others.
Thomas, c1853
Elizabeth, c1855
John William, b1856 Tadcaster, Yorkshire
Richard Cammomile, b1859 d1859 Tadcaster, Yorkshire
Margaret, b1860 Barnard Castle, Durham>>
Oh Rena! Thank you so much :)

She's the right age and everything! I now know who her parents are. I'll go hunting for births, deaths and anything else I can find now :)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 January 06 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Got a birth :D

17   11/10/1826   JOHNSTON   MARION   JOHN JOHNSTON/MARGARET WILSON FR3600   F   LEITH NORTH   692/01 0008

I've also found a death for Margaret. The death was registered by her son, James. I guess he must've been born after the census.

I had a look on FreeCEN (I think that's what you meant?) but I couldn't find Marion on there.

I must admit, I do like Scottish Civil Reg certs! They have so much more information that our English ones.
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 January 06 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, I did mean I looked on freeCEN for the 1851 Berwick census. There isn't a Scottish freebmd unfortunately.  I liked your exclamation mark after writing about the Scottish information - if you think that's good you should see the German records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 The Johnston family were fishermen and as mother Margaret was 50 on the 1841 census and in all probability too old to have more children I reckon her son James was elsewhere at the time of the census.  When I downloaded an 1841 census image from Scotlandspeople I discovered there's more information on the original than shown on the freeCEN site. For instance freeCEN don't include the employed/employer column.  You now know the Johnstons were fishermen but would the other column indicate John owned a boat and/or employed men/boys?

Cheers,
Rena in Lancashire, researching Leith, Glasgow,Aberdeen.

Got a birth :D

17   11/10/1826   JOHNSTON   MARION   JOHN JOHNSTON/MARGARET WILSON FR3600   F   LEITH NORTH   692/01 0008

I've also found a death for Margaret. The death was registered by her son, James. I guess he must've been born after the census.
I had a look on FreeCEN (I think that's what you meant?) but I couldn't find Marion on there.
I must admit, I do like Scottish Civil Reg certs! They have so much more information that our English ones.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to say thank you Rena. With your help, I've managed to find some of them back to the mid-1600s :)

The Wilsons are proving troublesome though lol

and there's a lot of inter-marrying :)

I think I went off on a bit of tangent on some of them lol
I researched Drybrough and Wilson on one of the side lines, and they're not even connected to me lol
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 16:35 GMT (UK) »
You'll have to tell me your secret.  I've lost my Darling :-) (one of those 'handshake' marriages circa MARR 1810-ish)

Wishing you more of what you had these last few days
Rena

I just wanted to say thank you Rena. With your help, I've managed to find some of them back to the mid-1600s :)

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any marriages, but I found a load of births and just work back using that forumla you suggested. Most of the time it's fairly straightforward, but some require a little imagination lol

Births on the OPR are recorded by both parents full names, so when you find one child, you get them all.
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I hope you're not forgetting the death certs!  Sometimes all is not what it seems, e.g. one partner can die at work or in childbirth and the widow(er) can marry a cousin with the same name - which has happened twice in my Leith lines..
Rena

I can't find any marriages, but I found a load of births and just work back using that forumla you suggested. Most of the time it's fairly straightforward, but some require a little imagination lol

Births on the OPR are recorded by both parents full names, so when you find one child, you get them all.

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
There aren't any deaths on SP or IGI as far as I can see, so I'm guessing with my fingers crossed for most lol

I have found a couple that had kids in the 1820s and then some more in the 1890s which I think may be two different families though lol

Where can I get death/burial records for Newhaven?

Also, while you're about... I can't find people in Newhaven, so must assume they are either not listed or moved from another parish. Which would be the most likely for McGre(i)gors and Wilsons (and pretty much anyone else for that matter lol)
Roberts - Cleckheaton