Author Topic: Marriage and births in Leith  (Read 8728 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and births in Leith
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I got my Leith North and Leith South (which includes Newhaven) from scotlandspeople for 2 credits. (30 credits = £5 or £6).  I'm currently looking at an Echobank (Parish of Liberton in Leith) death cert.  I'm trying to sort out who married whom and when in my Telford,Bain line. Janet Bain married a couple of Telfords.  Bet it wasn't the Telford employing 8 men!

Cheers,
Rena

There aren't any deaths on SP or IGI as far as I can see, so I'm guessing with my fingers crossed for most lol

I have found a couple that had kids in the 1820s and then some more in the 1890s which I think may be two different families though lol

Where can I get death/burial records for Newhaven?

Also, while you're about... I can't find people in Newhaven, so must assume they are either not listed or moved from another parish. Which would be the most likely for McGre(i)gors and Wilsons (and pretty much anyone else for that matter lol)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find any deaths for pre-1855 on Scotlands People. Are they hiding them from me?
The just gave me some more credits cos one of the images I viewed was linked to the wrong place lol

I can see this costing me a fortune going back all this way lol
I'll have to start viewing censuses soon to find out what happened to all the names I have!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Go to the page which gives info on what is already available on site and what will be put online this year.  "OPR" means Old Parish Registers and usually consists of baptisms,marriages and marriage banns.  Death dates prior to 1837 (or 1855 - can't recall the exact year) will probably be taken from parish books which rented out/sold mortcloths. Mortcloths were used to shroud/clothe the dead person. Have you looked at the wills & inventories on the site? I've found about half a dozen of my fam. on there, some of the wills give names/addresses of their offspring. You will notice that there are several entries for the same person but years apart because it has taken that length of time to finalise probate & includes the fact there was more than one court the documents had to proceed through (the 1st one being the Sheriffs court).    Another place to obtain deaths is from MI's (Memorial Inscriptions on the gravestones). The local FHS (Family History Society) is the place to obtain these either by buying their books or maybe they have a member who will do a lookup for free) - Leith is in Mid Lothian.
Rena

I couldn't find any deaths for pre-1855 on Scotlands People. Are they hiding them from me?
The just gave me some more credits cos one of the images I viewed was linked to the wrong place lol

I can see this costing me a fortune going back all this way lol
I'll have to start viewing censuses soon to find out what happened to all the names I have!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 January 06 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I have been given a link to a Newhaven website, which contains a lot of information about all the names I have discovered so far. If you have anyone in Newhave, visit http://www.oldnewhaven.org/
It's a brilliant site. It even has some of the OPR death records and Gravestone information for a few names.
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 January 06 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I've already put my Mason-Telford line on the Newhaven site - but you've reminded me I ought to update the information.  I like to gather background information  and was surprised to find that one of the pubs was where ship's carpenters had their meetings and another was the haunt of pirates!
Rena

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me work out a little problem I have....

I have two possible John Johnstons. I know he married Margaret Wilson in 1813, but there is no certificate. Margaret was born in 1792. I have her parents details from her death cert. John died pre-1855, so there is no cert for him.

John Johnston & Catherine Flucker - have children
Catherine - 1779
John - 1781
Barbara - 1784

Alexander Johnston & Hellen Flucker - have children
James - 1788
Helen - 1790
John - 1792
Agnes - 1795
Alexander - 1797
Charles - 1799
Barbara - 1802
Catherine - 1805

All children for both families born Newhaven.

I was working off the naming pattern for Scotland - and given that John had James and Alexander then a Catherine and a Barbara and also a John, it could be either family.

Oh - to top it off - John & Alexander are brothers and Catherine & Helen are sisters lol

How do I work out which John is mine?
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 19:05 GMT (UK) »
If John J. born 1792 married Margaret Wilson, their children would be named:

1st boy =  Alexander (being the father of John)
3rd son = John (named in favour of baby's father John)
4th son = James (being father John's eldest brother)

2nd Dau = Hellen (named in favour of father's mother)
3rd Dau = Margaret (named in favour of baby's mother)
4th Dau = the name of Margaret's eldest sister

If your John J was born 1781 son of another John, he didn't have much choice for naming his children if he only had two sisters did he?  Unless, of course, his father John senior had other children not found by yourself. 
Sometimes where a birth record is missing evidence of a child can be found on a census - there were too many Johnston's living in Midlothian 1841 for a list of inhabitants to come up.  Sometimes in a family there is a question mark over the name of a child, sometimes the explanation is that the grandfather died prematurely before his name or the grandmother's name could be passed, e.g. grandparents only produced boys (or girls) and the grandmother's (grandfather's) name couldn't be passed on.

From the children's names you've given I think Alexander and John are more likely to be cousins.

Purely out of curiosity.  Is it your Flucker family on the Newhaven site?
http://www.johnlyle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/oldnewhaven/members/members_index.htm

Rena in England

I wonder if anyone can help me work out a little problem I have....
I have two possible John Johnstons. I know he married Margaret Wilson in 1813, but there is no certificate. Margaret was born in 1792. I have her parents details from her death cert. John died pre-1855, so there is no cert for him.
John Johnston & Catherine Flucker - have children
Catherine - 1779
John - 1781
Barbara - 1784

Alexander Johnston & Hellen Flucker - have children
James - 1788
Helen - 1790
John - 1792
Agnes - 1795
Alexander - 1797
Charles - 1799
Barbara - 1802
Catherine - 1805

All children for both families born Newhaven.
I was working off the naming pattern for Scotland - and given that John had James and Alexander then a Catherine and a Barbara and also a John, it could be either family.

Oh - to top it off - John & Alexander are brothers and Catherine & Helen are sisters lol

How do I work out which John is mine?

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 19:48 GMT (UK) »
My John had
Margaret (named after her mother and/or mothers mother)
2 Davids (named after mothers father)
James (named after fathers grandfather or brother)
Alexander (named after fathers father or fathers brother)
Catherine (named after fathers mother or fathers sister)
Barbara (named after fathers sister or aunt)
Marion (named after mothers sister)
Euphemia Hume (not sure where this comes from!)
Joanna (not sure)
John (named after father)

The John b1781 may have had more children, but I can't find any record of them on SP or IGI.

Some of the Flucker family on the Newhaven site are related to me, but it goes quite far back (mid 1700s) before they are.
I was gonna ask you about your Simes - are they from Newhaven? I have a few in my tree :)
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, can't work anything out unless you give me children's birthdates.  It would be best to have John/Margaret's wedding year but I can't recall whether you said you had it or not.
My Mason & Telfer/Telfar/Telford(s); Bain & Duncan(s) are from Newhaven,Liberton. My Sime(Syme) [pronounced Sim]; Bell/Young families are from Cramond.

Rena
=
My John had
Margaret (named after her mother and/or mothers mother)
2 Davids (named after mothers father)
James (named after fathers grandfather or brother)
Alexander (named after fathers father or fathers brother)
Catherine (named after fathers mother or fathers sister)
Barbara (named after fathers sister or aunt)
Marion (named after mothers sister)
Euphemia Hume (not sure where this comes from!)
Joanna (not sure)
John (named after father)

The John b1781 may have had more children, but I can't find any record of them on SP or IGI.

Some of the Flucker family on the Newhaven site are related to me, but it goes quite far back (mid 1700s) before they are.
I was gonna ask you about your Simes - are they from Newhaven? I have a few in my tree :)