Author Topic: Marriage and births in Leith  (Read 8731 times)

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and births in Leith
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rena,

John and Margaret married in 1813.
Margaret was born just after.
David1 was born 1815
David2 was born 1817
James born 1818
Alexander born 1820
Catherine born 1822
Barbara born 1824
Marion (the one you helped me find) born 1826
Euphemia born 1829
Joanna born 1831
John born 1835

Margaret Wilsons parents were David and Margaret. She was the eldest of 8.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 26 January 06 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.
Why was son number 1 named in favour of mother's father, or is there an earlier baptism that's been missed?   I have an 1817 baptism record which states "son no.2" - I haven't found the baptism of son no.1!

You have to distinguish between born and baptised - sometimes you had to wait for the vicar to visit the local church and also it cost money to be baptised. Some babies were baptised same/next day and some waited until pay day.  Another thing to look out for is there was a separation of the religions and some vicars didn't recognise other 'lesser' religious baptisms/marriages.
Will speak later.
Rena

Thanks Rena,

John and Margaret married in 1813.
Margaret was born just after.
David1 was born 1815
David2 was born 1817
James born 1818
Alexander born 1820
Catherine born 1822
Barbara born 1824
Marion (the one you helped me find) born 1826
Euphemia born 1829
Joanna born 1831
John born 1835

Margaret Wilsons parents were David and Margaret. She was the eldest of 8.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 26 January 06 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Fo all John & Margarets children, I have birth dates and baptism dates. They were all baptised in Newhaven. It looks like they were all baptised within 30 days of being born (unlike some of my English ones who waited 4 years lol)

Have to go to work now. Thanks for helping me :)
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 26 January 06 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I think I've decided that it's the John b1781. In 1841, Margaret is shown as 10 years younger than John. I don't think it could be the one born 1792.
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 28 January 06 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank goodness somebody invented census :-)  There are quite a few 1861 & 1851 census being published and it should give the exact ages.  You have to be careful with the typed copies - if you look at the originals you'll see some enumerators of the day liked to score lines through the age column and in the days when census were hard to come by I once had somebody send me a printed copy of a census showing the age as 2 years but I already had a digital copy of the original and the age was a baby of 2 mths.
I've just added a couple of generations to one of my Cramond village families then I saw somebody has put the pedigree on familysearch but I noticed they'd guessed that the father was born 5 years later than he actually was, or maybe it was a typing error.
Good luck,
Rena
I think I've decided that it's the John b1781. In 1841, Margaret is shown as 10 years younger than John. I don't think it could be the one born 1792.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 30 January 06 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to stick with FreeCEN for now, until SP gets 1851 online. I just hope he's still alive then lol
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 30 January 06 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's a bit expensive ordering an A3 census image from Edinburgh archives. the best I can suggest is sometimes a local volunteer will offer to obtain an A4 copy for £5+ to cover expenses.
You're motoring along faster than me, I've got 2 Telford/Bains marrying twice to Telford/Bains and all the families have the same names - even the death certs & census don't make the situation clear.  I'm having to find next generation siblings death certs to see if there's a better clue.
Cheers,
Rena

I'll have to stick with FreeCEN for now, until SP gets 1851 online. I just hope he's still alive then lol

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I only motor where the records are online. For some of my family, I've barely got past 1900 lol
I've had the same problem with families naming children the same. I have two brother who both had a daughter in the same year, same quarter and both called Mary Elizabeth. I go looking for Mary in the census, and find one so assume (wrongly as it turned out) that she was mine lol
Mine was down as Elizabeth in most of them! Apart from 1901, where she is with her father and down as Mary. I got ever so confused by that. I'm just glad they were brothers, so I hadn't done all that work for nothing lol
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking for an Uncle Henry who died in WWI was how I got into genealogy.  I found over 500 names to put on my tree of all possible people who could be old enough to fight in the war, but no Henry.   However, there was a William H. who I'd dismissed because whilst his mother was born near sheffield his father was born in what is now Germany.  It seems the Germans use the Christian name immediately before the surname, in this case 'Henry', any preceding names are 'donated' by godparents who were usually family.  'William' being the maternal grandfather.
See you on the list.
Rena

I only motor where the records are online. For some of my family, I've barely got past 1900 lol
I've had the same problem with families naming children the same. I have two brother who both had a daughter in the same year, same quarter and both called Mary Elizabeth. I go looking for Mary in the census, and find one so assume (wrongly as it turned out) that she was mine lol
Mine was down as Elizabeth in most of them! Apart from 1901, where she is with her father and down as Mary. I got ever so confused by that. I'm just glad they were brothers, so I hadn't done all that work for nothing lol