Author Topic: Scottish Census 1861 - 1901  (Read 5235 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Census 1861 - 1901
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 May 06 10:23 BST (UK) »
I went to GRO in Edinburgh and I discovered I have to pay to access to see their records. In England and Wales Gro Offices are free to access to their records.
You are not comparing like with like.

You have to pay £17 per day to use the facilities in New Register House. For this sum you have unlimited access to all the indexes of births, marriages and deaths from 1855 to 2006, and to the actual images of the certificates. You can look at dozens, if not hundreds, of images in a day in New Register House.

You can get free access to the indexes for England and Wales, but you then have to send away for every certificate, at a cost of at least £7 per certificate.

By my calculations the £17 you need to pay for New Register House would buy me just two and a bit English/Welsh certificates.

In a day I have viewed over 200 images in New Register House, which would cost me £1400, not to mention all the extra hassle of writing to all the different registrars, stationery, envelopes and stamps.

£1400+ for the same number of English/Welsh certificates as I could get for £17 in New Register House? No contest.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 May 06 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Not wishing to be in any way awkward but ...

One can't but help noticing that you are currently replying on many threads to posts from many months ago (some of which had already been answered specifically) ...

Perhaps a generic statement on Scotland General would be useful?

JAP

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 May 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
Comments noted; no offence taken.

I doubt if any generic statement would be effective, since not everyone reads every post, as is evident from the number of times someone posts a message telling someone else to go to SP.

Also the number of times someone states, suggests or implies that it is cheaper to access England and Wales records than Scottish ones.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 May 06 10:42 BST (UK) »
I am always reading about people having a go at Scotlands People.
I think it is a great site and as I am NOT a TAXPAYER I don't really expect the Scottish taxpayers to subsidise my research.

Just think of the cost to travel from Australia plus accommodation and other expenses. Give credit where credit is due

Maybe the Researchers paying tax have some gripe but not those of us outside the country.

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 May 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
wini,

Stepping up from the bunker again (and quickly donning the helmet and flak jacket) ...

You are surely much more often reading about people commending and praising ScotlandsPeople than having a go  :D

Perhaps a few do "have a go" - but most who make criticisms (while, at the same time, generally praising SP) are attempting to make constructive criticisms with a view to improving SP and its service.

And, quite often, those constructive criticisms have indeed led to improvements.

SP is absolutely great and we wouldn't be without it - but that doesn't mean that improvements can't be made ...

All the very best,

JAP

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Jap,

I hope the "CONSRUCTIVE CRITICISMS" are directed to SP and not just aired on Forums for general discussion.
Is there someone from Rootschat on the User Group who takes  the "chatters "concerns to SP?

wini

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Should have said no one needs to wear Helmet & Flak jacket from me.
I only bear goodwill to all of you and thank you for the help I have received

wini

Offline sporran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello wini and other interested people,

I am on the User Group of ScotlandsPeople (SP), as is at least one other member of this board.  Although I joined only today in order to post on the Northumberland forum, I have been reading posts for a long time.  In addition, I know that SP look in on this and other boards.  Issues that are posted on the boards are taken up, where pertinent, and raised as topics at meetings.

The SP site has a link "Contact the User Group" which can be used for raising points that will be answered.  Suitable points are raised with SP, not necessarily at meetings, even though we may not personally agree with those opinions.  At present, that link re-directs the mail to me.  Anyone who wants to contact SP can use the link "Contact Us" that is on every page of the SP site.  It is below the photograph of Eilean Donan Castle on the main page of the site.  In both cases, constructive comments, mentioned above by JAP, is welcome, and ranters and ravers generally get short shrift.

Regards,

John

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sporran,

A very warm welcome to you - hope you swing by again  ;D

In any population you will get a distribution from "unhappy with the service" to the "wow it's the best thing since sliced granary".

Personally I'm in the latter camp - though I now save up my searches and visit the GROS.

There are high expectations of SP and , again personally, I think SP have been responsive to the well structured feedback and the service has improved.

I'm happy to pay for convenience and immediacy.

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!