Author Topic: McLernon and Allen Ancestors of of N.I  (Read 2047 times)

Offline McLernon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McLernon and Allen Ancestors of of N.I
« on: Saturday 22 October 05 01:20 BST (UK) »
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has any connection with the above subject surnames. My ancestors are from Antrim and Down counties.

McLernon
McLernon

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McLernon and Allen Ancestors of of N.I
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 05 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hello McLernon,

These two sites should help you but I notice you give no dates for your ancestors. You may have all the relevant facts sitting in front of you but without dates we are working very much in the dark at this end. Please post a few more details. I think you may be pleasantly surprised at the amount of information you will then receive.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/AiAl.htm
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/McL.htm

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 05 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can I have more information please ,dates or first names would help please

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McLernon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your responses, they are really very much appreciated. The following are the dates and given names as found on the 1851 Census for Derrykillultagh Townland entry number 40:

John McLernon(McLernan), Head, M, 48, farm laborer, Ant,(R)---- Great-great grand father
Jane McLernon,wife, M, 41, winding yarn, Ant, (R)----------------- --Great-great grand mother
James McLernon,son, U, 17, linen weaver, Ant, (R/W)
William McLernon, son,U,10,winding yarn,Ant,
George McLernon,son,U,6, at Anderson school,Ant-------------------great grand father
Isabella McLernon,daughter,U,2, none, Ant
Absent from home March 30, 1851, Ann McLernon,14(daughter, house servant (Ant)

John and Jane we believe were married in 1833. Jane's maiden name we believe is Higginson.

All the children except  James and Ann went to the U.S..  James stayed in Ireland and would be the father of any related McLernons still in Ireland about which we are very interested. Also we would really love to confirm when George and William left for the U.S.. Family tradition tells of George and William leaving for the U.S. in 1859 and George serving in the Civil War.

My great grand mother Margret Ellen Allen was born in 1856 +/- and died in 1936. She and my great grand father rest in Lisburn Cemetery(note my great grand father changed his last name to McClellan in 1866)

Any help will be very much appreciated and thanks again.

McLernon/McClellan
McLernon

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 December 05 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning McLernon,

I have just been reading Eddie McIlwaine's Ulster Log in the Belfast Telegraph dated Saturday 12th November. He mentions a book " Far from the Green Fields Of Erin - Ulster Emigrants and Their Stories " It is published by Colourpoint at a cost of £14.99

The author David Hume mentions a 24 year old Joseph McLernon who was born in Co. Antrim in 1858. He became a Cavalryman in the US and when with Troop E of the South Cavalry was involved in an Indian uorising in Arizona in 1882. McLernon and his comrades were ambushed by an Apache raiding party somewhere their base of Fort Apache. McLernon was shot in the arm and the bullet passed through both his lungs. Joseph died forty minutes after his comrades brought him back to base.

Very little is known about Joseph McLernon. The town or village where he was born are not known. He arrived in America in 1880. His immigration stated he was a labourer. David Hume's book contains many such stories but he would be delighted to learn more about Joseph McLernon.

A search in Griffiths Valuation (1848 - 1864) did not show the surname http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php so I had to use Surname Search
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm
If we wish to find Joseph McLernon, since spelling changes drastically when it crosses the Atlantic due to Immigration Officials in the lates 1800s not understanding Irish accents, we need to consider all nine spellings of the name known in Co. Antrim. The Surname Search provided the following information -

Co Antrim  
McClarnan   8
McClarnon   8
McClearnan 0
McClernan 23
McLarnan    6
McLarnen    2
McLarnon  38
McLernan  13
McLernon   3

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline McLernon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Still searching for relatives. Can anyone help?

McLernon
McLernon

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
Please put on your thinking caps and help McLarnon in the Search for McLernon(McLernan) and Allen.