Author Topic: Burntwood Grange, Finchley - help needed please!  (Read 908 times)

Offline snuffles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burntwood Grange, Finchley - help needed please!
« on: Saturday 22 October 05 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi - does anyone have any information about Burntwood Grange in Finchley?  I believe an ancestor of mine may have been a servant there, but I can't seem to  find any information about the place anywhere at all!  The only reason I know it existed was through the mention I found for the GRISEWOOD family in Burke's Peerages.

Can anyone give me any history on the place, or an idea of where to find the information?  Can anyone tell me where in Finchley it was located?

Many thanks all for your time!
Young of Hertford area, Rush of Greenwich, Knight of Hertford, Malton of Hartest, McAdie of Wick, Terry of Godstone

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burntwood Grange, Finchley - help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Times has:
The Times, Saturday, May 05, 1860; pg. 1; Issue 23612; col A
a daughter of C. M. Major, Esq, b. at Burntwood Grange, Wandsworth-common.

The Times, Tuesday, Jun 18, 1867; pg. 20; Issue 25840; col A
-mentions the wine cellars of Burntwood Grange, Wandsworth-common.

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 10, 1875; pg. 14; Issue 28390; col A
-advertisment for a second Gardener, married man without children, for Burntwood Grange

The Times, Wednesday, May 02, 1888; pg. 20; Issue 32375; col A
-to be sold, Burntwood Grange, Upper Tooting (40 minutes drive of City and West-end, 10 minutes walk from Wandsworth Common station).  Had grounds of about 10 acres, approached by a 250 yard carriage drive with pretty double lodge entrance.  11 bedrooms, 3 dressing rooms, work-rooms, suite of reception rooms (drawing room, dining room) opening into a conservatory, library, morning room, billiard or ball room, domestic offices on ground floor.  Also stables which included two coach-houses and two rooms for grooms.

There is a property by the same name listed here, which is probably part of the original property, now subdivided into several residences.

http://content.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/14912.html - Norman Holloway, cricket player for England, was born there.

Also in 1855 there is mentioned the birth of a son to Henry Grisewood, Esq, in the Times, but the place is Burntwood LODGE instead of Burntwood Grange... also listed as in Wandsworth-common.  There seem to have been several estates by the similar names - Burntwood Lodge, Burntwood Grange, and Burntwood House - see here.

Burntwood Lodge (as opposed to Burntwood Grange) is described in 1867 in The Times as being on the south side of Wandsworth Common, having six bed chambers and dressing rooms, three servant's rooms, bath room, drawing room, conservatory with adjoining smoking room, dining room and morning room, all opening to the grounds by French windows, water-closets, kitchen, servant's hall, the usual domestic offices, and cellars, stabling for six horses and rooms over for coachman, lofts, greenhouse, melon and cucumber houses,  summerhouse, gardens, and a 'rich paddock'; altogether about 5 acres.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snuffles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burntwood Grange, Finchley - help needed please!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 05 20:22 BST (UK) »
Wow - I am totally in awe!!   :D

Thank you so much for your help! I am hopeful I will eventually track down my ancestor now I have more info to go on.

Many, many thanks!
Kate
Young of Hertford area, Rush of Greenwich, Knight of Hertford, Malton of Hartest, McAdie of Wick, Terry of Godstone