Author Topic: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)  (Read 27527 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Hetheringtons (Castlecomer)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
I, too, found the 1901 census record for John and Kate. 

Like Silverhawk, I found 8 baptismal records for their children - from Martin in 1852 to Richard in 1863.  I also found a baptismal record for Anne Hetherton with father John and mother Anne Kearney.  Is that the 9th you found Tara?

Re the marriage record for George and Bridget, unfortunately there are no parent names.  I know from a family source that George's parents were William Hetherington and Frances Stephenson.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find John and Margaret's marriage?  I'm struggling ???
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi 'Dermo'

Yes that was the 9th record. With a rare surname like Hetherington and a match to the surname of Kearney I have presumed that it's the same family. Margaret's christian name MAY have been mistranscribed ???

Hi 'Silverhawk'

No, I couldn't find the marriage either. That's not to say it's not there and maybe was mistranscribed. When dealing with such old church records, that are very feint and sometimes in Latin, errors I'm sure have been made !

Tara

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
Are you related at all, Tara?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
I had no luck finding the marriage of John and Margaret either.  As far as I can see, IFHF has no record of a John Hetherington/Margaret Kearney marriage among any of its county centres.  I have the record of the marriage of John Hetherington and Kate Regan on 18 Aug 1892.  Civil record shows her father's name as "Patrick Regan, living".  John's father John was deceased.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
No, I'm not related at all. I just help people with their tree's on this forum !

Tara

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
I've just found a record on Ancestry which may possibly be the remarriage of Margaret at some point after John's death.  There's a listing for Castlecomer 1874 (volume 18, page 385) which has a Margaret Kearny and Margaret Hetherington on the same page.  Seems coincidental.  I might order it and see what it says.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Silverhawk
I can save you some trouble.  I got the civil cert.  It shows the marriage of "Margaret Heatherington otherwise Kearney" to Patrick O'Brien on 6 October 1874 in the Roman catholic Chapel of Castlecomer.  His age is given as 33.  No age for her - the entry just says "full age". Her father's name is listed as Martin Kearney, profession labourer.  Patrick O'Brien's father was also Patrick O'Brien and also a labourer. Patrick signed his name "Pat Brine".  Margaret signed with her mark. She evidently couldn't write.  Witnesses were E O'Shea (initial only) and Margaret McGrath (she also signed with her mark).

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Interesting.  With that combination of names then, it would suggest that's our Margaret.  Does the certificate mention her status being widowed on marriage?  Have you managed to trace Margaret's death or possibly a 1901 Census entry?