Author Topic: Incorrect Census transcriptions on Ancestry  (Read 43285 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Incorrect Census transcriptions on Ancestry
« Reply #81 on: Friday 06 October 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
There is a very big difference between Familysearch and Ancestry.  Familysearch has mostly been populated by genealogists, they would have a better knowledge of what they were doing. 

Ancestry I think outsource their transcription to companies that employ people to transcribe - a whole different kettle of them there fish.

P :)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Stumped!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 08 October 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
I ought to qualify my statement about the missing names on Alderney's 1871 census. They are in the database.  :-[
I just didn't look hard enough!
Peter

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 11:30 BST (UK) »

This is a copy of a post I have just made on this thread http://www.rootschat.com/links/0uo/

"..and can I just add my "find" on Ancestry?

I was doing a look up for another RC member, and spent ages trying to find his family in 1841.  I tried all the usual variations etc etc etc - tried just about everything.  Then I did the first name, yob and pob and just went through all the images for every result.  It took ages but was worth it!!!! All the families on the image had all been transcribed with the same surname as the family listed on the first line :o

So, please remember that you may also be looking for your ancestors with completely incorrect surnames!!!!! ;D"
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Just found a good one in 1901, was looking for something else when 'Adder ATTACK' caught my eye and I just had to have a look at the image, as you do - turns out the surname of the family is quite clearly ALLCOCK ... but the Adder looks right, wonder what that's short for??
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
hello there

dare
I suggest

Black

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 27 October 06 00:51 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother is Adder on one census - should be Ada, is that a possibility?
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 27 October 06 01:15 BST (UK) »
I hope everyone is aware that you can make a correction if you find out something has been mistranscribed on Ancestry

I've just been contacted through ancestry by someone wanting more information from 'a personal tree that I'd put on ancestry' about a person whose name I didn't recognise at all - I spent a while checking my various trees for him,  then it dawned on me that I'd only entered an alternative surname for them on ancestry -  it wasn't my personal tree at all, was just doing a lookup for another Rootschatter

The surname  was so obviously mistranscribed that I just had to correct it - that'll teach me :)
- bit of a timewaster for the other person too.  So perhaps be careful when you make a correction not to give the impression in the comments box that it's your own family research.  (by the way I have asked the said Rootschatter if they want me to pass on their details to the enquirer) 
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 27 October 06 01:56 BST (UK) »
Black adder, LOL    ;D

I wonder if the name could be Addie? I knew a woman years ago whose name was Adeline but she was known as Addie.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 20:52 GMT (UK) »
To anyone looking at Family Tree data on Ancestry

I was looking for something the other day and got quite excited because I found the right family. However all the dates were wrong and the further back it went the worse it became. For most of these things I have Birth, Marriage or Death certs which prove what is on that particular tree is complete rubbish.

If you use Ancestry Family Trees, beware because had I not had certificates for some of the people listed I could have gone off at a complete tangent.

Didn't help me with the one vital link but so annoyed that even the info I had which is easily available from scotlan'd People was wrong for every record listed! (Is this a record ?)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-