Author Topic: Birkenhead questions?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census Info Crown Copyright of National Archives
    • View Profile
Birkenhead questions?
« on: Saturday 22 October 05 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If there are any Birkenhead experts able to shed any light on the following info, It would be much appreciated.

My gt grandparents Thomas Lewis & Jane Davies were married at Hamilton Memorial Presbyterian Church, Laird Street, Birkenhead in 1885. Does this church still exist, and if so, would it be the same building or has it since been rebuilt?

From their marriage certificate Thomas was recorded living at 161 Market Street, Birkenhead. Jane was noted as living at 11 Eaton Road, Birkenhead. (They would both have been boarders, Thomas hailed from Llanerfyl, & Jane came from Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd.) Do any of these properties still exist?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can share any info.
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline tarnee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birkenhead questions?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 05 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Saw your post as l was born in Birkenhead. If you pm with your email address l will send you a current map of the area. l was born in Dover Street so that will be clearly marked on it but you can see other streets but most have be rebuilt on but they have named the streets nearly the same ie. Dover Close was Dover Street.
l hope this will help you.

Jean
in Australia
Graham, Grundy, Wilson:- Birkenhead
Graham, Sharp, Hodgson, Sherwen:- Workington
Fulford,Braithwaite,Blanchard,Hackforth,Ward,White:- Lincolnshire
Seaby, Cockerill:- Northamptonshire.
Wiseman,Smith:- Warwickshire
Upton, Gentle:- Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire.
Wall, Curtis, Felts, Thoms:- Bedfordshire.
Davis, Smallman:- Shropshire.
Wilcox:- Worcestershire.
Young, Renwick:- Berwick upon Tweed.
Plante:- Stafford, Warwickshire.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 October 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi  - in answer to your questions - The houses in that part of Market Street were demolished many years ago. Eaton Road still exists - not sure about the original houses but I can go and check for you it's not too far away.
There is a Welsh Presbyterian Church on Laird Street. I'm not sure if it is called The Hamilton Memorial as there is a Hamilton Memorial quite nearby in Upton Road. The Welsh Presbyterian Church on Laird Street has an address and phone number for the secretary on the board outside.
I'll have another look for you when I pass Laird Street to see if there is another Presbyterian Church but I've a feeling the Welsh one might be the only one.

Hope this helps

Regards
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 October 05 19:23 BST (UK) »
Any info that can be gained will be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline hazelnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 05 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone give me any information about the Price family who lived at 141/142 Borough Road Birkenhead? The last Price family member to live at 141 Borough Road was Isabella Price c. 1964. I have tried Birkenhead archives who told me 141 does not exist an more. Does anyone know what happened to it?!!

Also, an ancestor of mine, Lucy Price, entered the Birknehead Workhouse, Tranmere in the early 1920's. I believe she died in the Workhouse Infirmary in 1926. Can anyone tell me anything about the Workhouse?

I am stll trying to trace Price family members who may still live in Birkenhead. I am the daughter of Ellen Price.

Look forward to hearing any news.

Hazelnut

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 05 19:11 GMT (UK) »
In reply to Neptune....

Hi, I called up Birkenhead on saturday & visited a few places.

With respect to the  Eglwys Welsh Presbyterian Church on Laird Street, what was the name of the closed church thats across the road?

Mind you, reading through your earlier post you have stated a Hamilton Memorial Church does exist on Upton Road. Could this be the church mentioned on Thomas Lewis wedding certificate do you think?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 05 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again  -  I've been trying to find that out for you - there's no current presbyterian church on Laird St so I wondered the same as you- was it the old church opposite? That is now 'Our Lady's Catholic Social Club'. I do know it wasn't originally a Catholic Church(it was empty  during the war so when Our Lady's church was bombed it was used temporarily then kept on as a social club).

I asked my neighbour who thinks that it was called The Claughton Methodist church which did move to Upton Road (Claughton Village)and became The Hamilton Memorial. ??
I then had a look on Saturday at The Hamilton Memorial and it said 'United Reform' so I'm puzzled.

Iwill keep trying to find out - Where the presbyterian church was on Laird Street?
Did it move somewhere else? and  What was the old church opposite?

I'll make some more enquiries and get back to you.

Bye for now

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 17:21 GMT (UK) »
((( BINGO !!! )))

Found it!!!

Logged on old-maps.co.uk & searched an 1882 map of Birkenhead,

Lo & behold as I head to Laird Street coming from Conway Street..... 'Hamilton Chapel English Presbyterian' -  what is now the catholic social club / the old chapel opposite Eglwys Welsh Presbyterian!!!
I took a pic of it when I was in Birkenhead (just in case!!)

No houses around it in those days, wonder if any old pics exist??

thanks for your help Neptune.

P.S. For the record on the same map of 1882, where the church is on Upton Road which is called Hamilton Memorial, a building is listed as 'The Claughton Meeting Rooms'.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi -Well Done!! - I'm pleased you were able to find the correct place on the old map. The entrance to the social club is at the other side of the church.

I will keep my eyes(and ears) open in case I come across any old pics which would be nice. - I won't forget.

Many thanks for the link.

Regards