Author Topic: Evan Evans 1841 Llandilofawr  (Read 2903 times)

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Evan Evans 1841 Llandilofawr
« on: Sunday 23 October 05 21:59 BST (UK) »
Evan Evans was a carpenter, married to Mary nee Rees. In 1840 they had a son, William. Any sign of them in the 1841 census, please? He was deceased by the time William married in June 1864, but he may have been around for the 1851 or even the 1861.
HH
Hine, Algar, Dyble, Kettle- Devon
Kingett, Bishop, Elt, Jenkins, Wheeler- Worcs.
Crabb, Carder, Levens- Surrey
Senior, Shaw, Schofield, Randerson, Crowther, Whitwam, Walker, Stott, Dawson, Sykes, Blackburn, Leech- W.Yorks.
Baldry, Cole, Borrett, Brabbon, Eastaugh- Suffolk
Evans, Jones, Davies, Rees- Llandilo
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Longmuir, Wishart, Kennedy, Cumming, Ronaldson, Crocket, Hood- Scotland
Mather- Northumberland

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Evans 1841 Llandilofawr
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 11 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello HH :)

Not sure whether you still need this lookup?

1841 Felin Glancennen?, Trecastle Hamlet, Llandilofawr

Evan Evans age 30 Carpenter  Not born County
Mary Evans age 20  Born Carms
William Evans age 9 months Born Carms

HO107 Piece 1384 Book 16 ED 2 Folio 8 Pg8

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Morgan,
Thank you for that. I had seen it before but not searched this branch for a while. It's revived my interest in my grandmother's ancestors. The William of 9 months was her father. I now want to confirm their household in the 1851, if possible, so I can find out where Evan was born. I'm pretty sure he was still alive and I think another son, David, was born in 1846. As you know, it's difficult to sort out one Evans from another- further complicated by the other surnames I have of Rees, Davies and Jones! I can't get very far back with any of them.
Regards, and thanks for your interest,
HH 
Senior, Shaw, Schofield, Randerson, Crowther, Whitwam, Walker, Stott, Dawson, Sykes, Blackburn, Leech- W.Yorks.
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Mather- Northumberland

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 January 11 02:23 GMT (UK) »
As you mention Rees, I wonder whether this is a possible for William and David in 1851?  :-\

Wenallt, Pentrecwm, Llandilofawr

Thomas Rees age 59 Head  born Llanddarog
Anne Rees age 60 Wife born Llanfynydd
William Rees age 10 Grandson (surname Do - could be error) born Llandilofawr
David Evans age 5 Grandson born Llandilofawr

HO107 Piece 2471 Folio 325 Page 15

There's a Glancennen property on the same page, with William Jones as Head. 

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 January 11 02:27 GMT (UK) »
This may be the marriage:

Evan Evans and Mary Rees in 1839 (Sept Q)
Llandilofawr Volume 26 page 662

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 January 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Morgan,
I have the marriage certificate with Evan's place of residence as Glancennan (although difficult to read as that). The 1851 ties up with my previous research and I was going to search for it again but you've saved me the trouble! Thomas was Mary's father so it looks as though Evan and Mary met an untimely end, although matching up deaths of an Evan Evans and Mary Evans in Carmarthenshire, even narrowing it to Llandilofawr, is a major undertaking. I would need to get into the record office- not possible from East Anglia!
William Jones could be a useful lead, as the Jones and Evans families were united 13 years later when said William Evans, b.1840, married Hannah Jones (father William) rather hurriedly in the Llandilo RO on 7th June 1864, with their first child born in the next quarter. Most of the boys had Rees as a second name, with their father himself adopting it too, although not registered with a middle name at birth.
Going back to the 1851, my grandmother's place of birth was Wenault Isaf, Llandilofawr although the family home for many years was Tynewydd, Llandilofawr. These families were obviously closely linked, with land being apportioned to many and various over the years.
Anyway, now there are a few more glimmers of light through the brick wall and with help like yours, who knows what I may discover next?!
Very best wishes,
HH
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Mather- Northumberland

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 January 11 00:36 GMT (UK) »
HH

Both Carmarthen RO and Register Office offer a research service for £25 and £15 per hour respectively, which is useful for people who live further afield. The RO will provide a cost estimate on application, say if you wanted to trace records relating to Wenallt Isaf or Felin Glancennen.

The Register Office will search 2 years either side of the year specified as part of the service, and charge £9 + £1 admin fee for BMD certificates.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find Evan's death certificate because you have an address / specific Llandilofawr location. There are 11 deaths 1841-51 but not all of these will be in that area near to Golden Grove, e.g. some could be Llandebie or Llanfynydd.

Good Luck with your research
Morgan

Offline Welshie55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 December 21 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi HH.

"Going back to the 1851, my grandmother's place of birth was Wenault Isaf, Llandilofawr although the family home for many years was Tynewydd, Llandilofawr"

I've been trying to research Tynewydd, Llandilofawr as my 3rd great grandparents, William Thomas and Anne Thomas nee Williams, ran Tynewydd Llandilofawr as a public house. They both appear there in the 1861 census, Anne dies 1868, William remarries and appears there with new wife Mary in 1871 census. (Cannot find any marriage records for William and Anne)
I was just wondering whether it was possibly the same Tynewydd and if so, whether you have discovered any further info regarding the whereabouts of it. I am from the same area (approx 10 mins drive away) and went to school there too. Would love to discover more as there is not much on a general net search unfortunately.
Regards,
Marie