Author Topic: Bard  (Read 3851 times)

bradley

Bard
« on: Tuesday 24 August 04 09:41 BST (UK) »
Trying to track down a bard called Powyson - name Thomas Jones. No dates, but probably 19th century. No trace in national or local archives, so this is my last hope.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Bard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 11:48 BST (UK) »
Bradley,

if he's a bard, then he may well have won a prize at the Eisteddfod. Do you know in which category?

Alternatively you could contact the "Gorsedd y Beirdd", via the Eisteddfod homepage.

http://www.eisteddfod.org.uk/index.php?lang=EN;navId=10

Let me know how you get, I'd be most interested.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline llywelyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Bard (Powyson)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 05 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bradley,

I realise it's been more than a year since you requested information on Powyson, -but I came across the following references recently during my own research,
- hope these are of some use to you:

(from the Gwynedd Archives Service (Caernarfon) on-line catalogue: "Rhagorol"):
XD9/830 1908 Awst MEMO: NODYN oddi wrth Mrs. Jones, Powyson, (aelod ym Moriah). Hefyd, nodiadau ynhgylch ei gwr, Thomas Jones, a fu yn flaenor ym Moriah.
(Translates as: XD9/830 [= Gwynedd archives document no.] 1908 August  Memo: NOTE from Mrs Jones, Powyson (member at Moriah [Chapel]). Also notes regarding her husband, Thomas Jones, who was a deacon at Moriah).

Book (in Welsh): "Gwyr Enwog Gynt (Ail gyfres)", E.Morgan Humphreys, Gwasg Aberystwyth (1953) :
"Powyson" (Thomas Jones) is mentioned in anecdotes three times (pp.111, 112, 113) in a chapter on "Eifionydd" (John Thomas):
p.112 (translated):    ".....and it was in Machynlleth that he [Eifionydd] came into contact for the first time with another young publisher, Thomas Jones, "Powyson", who became a life-long friend........"

In his chapter on Beriah Gwynfe Evans (p.124) E Morgan Humphreys states that "Powyson" started at "Y Genedl Gymreig" about 1879.

According to "Carneddog a'i deulu"  by E Namora Williams, "Powyson" (Thomas Jones) was the editor (and co-owner?) of the Caernarfon-based Welsh language newspaper "Y Genedl Gymreig" (p.60/61), and was still in charge in 1910/1911.

Postcard (in my possession), postmarked 31/12/1906  from "Alafon" to "Mr & Mrs Powyson" (Mr & Mrs Jones), Bryn Powys, Victoria Road, Carnarvon (as spelled on the postcard!) wishing them a very happy new year (in Welsh).

A Google search led me to http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000D2B0P/onthewebcom-21/202-3209268-0985428, listing (sheet?) music by John Henry Roberts and words by "Powyson" (Thomas Jones).

Hope this helps - let me know how you get on.

Jones, Hughes, Williams & Evans  - Rhyd Ddu, Arfon
Jones - Pentraeth & Traeth Coch, Ynys Mon/Anglesey

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bard
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

Sorry about the deafening silence - I do apologise - but somehow I missed your postings, and have only just discovered them.

They are a great help as  I return to my missing bards search.

Regards

Quarryman
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.