Author Topic: "The Blue House" BRADWELL-ON-SEA in 1891 or 1901 Census  (Read 3534 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: "The Blue House" BRADWELL-ON-SEA in 1891 or 1901 Census
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 September 23 10:33 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is part of your family - there are numerous reports about the sad death of Constance Alice KERSHAW in 1882 (born 1859, mmn GURNER, so presumably Mary's sister). A Samuel BAILDON was a witness at the inquest.

eg
Friday,  July 7, 1882
Publication: Chelmsford Chronicle

and
Friday,  July 14, 1882
Publication: Chelmsford Chronicle

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 September 23 11:01 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01so2/

Historic England has a photo of the blue cottages..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 September 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
Re Mary Baildon nee' Kershaw.

Her husband Samuel Robert worked for the East India Co. I suspect his occupaion was a "Tea Buyer/ Merchant". He made quite a few trips to Calcutta/Bombay between 1906-13. On a couple of these trips Mary accompanied him. As Samuel died in Calcutta in 1914 I believe Mary was with him.Their address in 1913 electoral register was still 35, Palmerston Road. However this property was occupied from 1914 onwards by others. Mary probably returned from India c1914 and was living in Blue House Cottage by 1921.

SS

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 September 23 16:05 BST (UK) »
More fresh information to add to the Kershaw family tree,  SoftlySoftly!
My grandfather Cyril Gurner was in India, in particular Calcutta, from 1911 until 1946, in the Civil Service.  I wonder if there could possibly have been any contact between Mary and man who was the son of her first cousin at that time...
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 September 23 16:20 BST (UK) »
Now, here's a potted Kershaw/Gurner connection, so that RayAngel can see how I am connected to that lady he knew in 1959, Nora Kershaw.
So, in July 1870, a John Thomas Kershaw was killed under the wheels of a London horse drawn omnibus at Highbury Corner, outside the Cock Tavern.  He had been returning from work in The Strand on that bus.
This tragic event widowed his wife Mary (née Kershaw) with 8 very young children, the youngest a baby in arms.  One solution to help her cope was that Mary, b.1861 and her little brother Raleigh aged 2 or 3 were sent to an Asylum For Fatherless Children in Surrey.  There eventually Mary became a student teacher.  Raleigh was apparently blind or became blind and ended up in America.
One of Mary's other siblings was John b.1866.  His daughter was Ada Nora Kershaw when he married an Ada Mason.
Thus Mary Baildon (nee Kershaw) was aunt to Nora Kershaw, her niece..
That Asylum, btw, was not as dreadful as the word Asylum might suggest.  And the other thing is that when he was widowed in 1872 my gt-gt-gt-grandpa Henry Pakeman Gurner, who was the father of the Mary Gurner widowed by the London omnibus, moved from Ickleton in Cambs to live with her and her brood of children in St Paul's Rd Canonbury.  Probably a mutually supportive move for both.
I hope this doesn't sound too complicated, Ray Angel, and all you other helpful Rootschatters on here...
Keith

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 September 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
So it was Nora he knew not Mary....Did Nora marry? Where does Ken come into the story?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 September 23 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hepburn,
Yes, she would indeed have been Nora.  Who I have down as being born in 1892.  But I have no information about this Ken.  I need to discover more!
Keith
What also might be confusing is that there were 2 Gurner/ Kershaw intermarriages.  3xGt-Grandfather Henry Pakeman Gurner's daughter Mary Ann Gurner married John Thomas Kershaw in 1857.  And his grandson Walter Gurner married Alice Kershaw in 1886.  Keeping things in the family...

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 September 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
Ada Norah Kershaw.

KERSHAW, ADA  NORAH     mother's maiden name MASON 
GRO Reference: 1892  D Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 381

Appears with parents on 1901/11/21 census

1939 war register living in Downham, Norfolk
Ada N   Kershaw   20 Sep 1892   Female   Teacher (Evacueted) Stuff Etc   Single   241   7

Died
Ada Norah Kershaw
20 Sep 1892   Jan 1980   Jan-Feb-Mar   Chelmsford   

Probate record, Ada Norah died 6th February 1980, her address "Blue House Cottage" Bradwell on Sea--she left quite a lot of pennies :)

SS

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 September 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
John Kershaw
Birth
KERSHAW, JOHN       GURNER 
GRO Reference: 1866  S Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 328

Death